How can I get my son to eat more and have a better appetite?

My son is about to turn 2, and he doesn't eat much. He never wants to eat, always just wants his bottle. He won't even try the food. So I give him baby food, yogurts, anything for him to eat. There will be sometimes were he will eat but very little. I'll make him homemade fries, or rice, give him some of my cereal or whatever it is I'm eating, but sometimes he will spit it out. He never wants fruits or vegetables either, so I'll make him a milkshake with fruits, but I really want him to eat better I don't know what else to do. This may sound bad but sometimes I'll put the food in his mouth so he can try it, and after I put it in his mouth he will usually eat it but like I said sometimes he will just spit it out and won't even try it. We also eat together and sit him on his chair and show him we are eating saying "yum!" but no, everything I've tried doesn't work or will only work for a little.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He never wants to eat, always just wants his bottle

offer the bottle less
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Stop catering to him. If he knows he'll get something else when he turns things down, he has no reason to try. Do you have the bottle ready and waiting if he says no? Don't starve him, but don't be quick to offer what he likes when he reject what he doesn't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Bottle at almost 2?
    no no no no no
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• OK, Stop the bottle first, all together. Then stop catering to him. He has all his teeth. He can eat almost anything. Stop the baby food to.
    He will not starve. Put food in front of him. If he doesn't eat it. Feed him at the next meal. I never let my kids drink anything but water at meal. Kids will not fill up on water.

Answer by louise2 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• No more bottle. Offer him food. If he doesn't eat it don't make a big deal out if it, but don't offer him anything else either. Only offer him the foods (fruits and vegetables) that you want him to eat. He will get to the point that he is hungry and will eat.

Answer by missanc at 3:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I'm with everyone else. Stop the bottle. Then offer him food. Don't get worked up if he doesn't eat it, but don't offer him anything else either.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 3:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yep. And one more thought. Toddlers are well known for living on air and the occasional chicken nugget. Put food out at the times you want him to eat. Do NOT supply a bottle. Cup of water or milk (no juice please). Let him feed himself.

When he's hungry he will eat. Instinct doesn't let them starve themselves.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• transition him to a sippy cup and gradually stop the bottle. Offer only healthy foods and let him pick and choose what he wants from them. Gradually stop the special foods/drinks you are making just for him. He will not starve!! It will be a difficult transition but you can do it!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• It sounds to me like your kiddo has figured out how to control the situation. Toddlers can be powerful little tyrants. Wean him off the bottle, then offer him a variety of foods to try. If he won't eat,don't say a word. Take the food away and offer it again at the next meal. He won't starve. Once you take the power struggle out of it, he'll eat when he's hungry and that's that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• bottle for water only then... whatever he's craving in the bottle (milk?) should be in a cup to make it less appealing

I'd like to suggest a muffin tin! 6 cute little bowls there. as colorful as possible with 3 things you're pretty sure he'll eat, 2 you're not sure and 1 thing as a dip or needing a spoon (hummus, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc)

Another tip is try some buffet restaurants. it's a MUCH CHEAPER way to experiment and see new things that interest him without buying and having waste
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2013