Peeing herself because of laziness?

My daughter will be 6 years old next month and she is still peeing herself several times a day. Not only that, she will sit in it until I ask her if she has had an accident because I can smell the horrible ammonia smell coming from her. When I ask her why she did it, the answer is always "I don't know". When she stays at her grandparents house, she stays dry, and usually manages to even make it through the night without wetting herself. I have taken her to the doctor, offered rewards, taken away her most prized possessions, and even made her wear a diaper hoping it would embarrass her enough that she would start going. SHE DOESN'T CARE! Someone please help!

Rachel S.

Asked by Rachel S. at 3:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Doctor again
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Is there something going on at home that could possibly cause this? Maybe something you are not even aware of?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Doctor. Any time child that has been fully and completely potty trained in this age range that begins to have accidents again a sexual abuse assessment by a professional trained in that area is recommended. This is one of the signs of sexual abuse.It does not mean she has been sexually abused ,there are many psychological and physical reasons for this behavior but it is common in female children that have been sexually abused.Be safe and have her checked to rule it out.

LCSW here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Make an appointment with her doctor again, let them know your concerns, be patient... It' better to rule out anything more serious.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I had this problem with my stepson 20 years ago. Yes, there was some issues with his bio mom, but he was in counseling for that. He was always in the middle of doing something and it seemed like he just didn't want to stop playing. We knew there wasn't any sexual abuse and the doctor couldn't find anything wrong. We did what his counselor suggested. We began making him clean up his own mess. And we set a timer for every half hour and he had to STOP doing what he was doing and go to the bathroom. He got tired of cleaning up his own mess and he got tired of being interrupted every half hour to go to pee. Now, we did NOT punish him for peeing, he only received a consequence for not cleaning himself. This is very important.

I'd get her rechecked by a doctor first, though. Girls can get a UTI easier than boys. I'd also consider whether sexual abuse or home issues could be the cause.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 4:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I agree with ChasingBridges.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• What are her grandparents doing that is different then you, ask them and try to emmulate that at home. There is obviously something different there then at home which may be the key.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• She may just like doing it and feel comfortable enough at home to do so. As messed up as it sounds there are a lot of people out there who like the feel of peeing their pants. When I was about 6 I figured it out by accident and would then intentionally have accidents over and over again up until I was old enough for peer pressure to kick in. I will be honest and say I still enjoy it but now it is for sexual purposes. As a child it was just something I found intriguing and oddly comforting. I would tell my own child in this situation that if she wishes to pee her pants she will need to do so in the bathtub and then she will need to bathe and bring the wet clothes straight to the laundry room. This, while giving her the freedom to do what she wants, put limits on it hopefully making the idea less appealing. It is up to you if you wish to open up dialog on whether or not she does it for 'fun'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• If so Dardenella then a periodic request to go(like when potty training) may be in order. I would assume one could set an alarm somewhere that reminds her to go.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Anyone else tired of the pee questions?
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2013