Moms of boys...

when do hotwheels, matchbox cars, etc make the move from fun and cool to lame and boring? I checked the kindle earlier and see that my son (almost 9) only used 11 minutes of his allotted 30 minutes this morning because he wanted to go play cars

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure - my five year old literally just begged me to set up his hot wheel's ramp in his room ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Mine lost interest at 8

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• My 12 yr old still plays with them. lol Not as often as he did when he was younger, but he does still play with them. He does have a 9 yr old brother, so that may be part of it (to play with his brother), but I think he honestly enjoys it, too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Honestly, it can depend. Boys mature at different rates. I have 14 year olds in my classroom that still bring in cars to mess with at lunch and break. Then, there are 11 year olds in the class that think they are lame.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 4:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I don't have boys, and Hot Wheels isn't around at my house. But my daughter has a Nabi2 tablet, and after the first several days of wanting to be on it all the time, she tends to self-limit pretty well and find other things she'd rather do.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• my son is 10 and he doesn't really care for them anymore unless its remote control cars, he's into football and electronics right now
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 4:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• My son still has his but has not played with the cars in 2 years. He is 10.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Set up a brand new hotwheels track on a day when family is coming over and see how many of the adult men in the family will pass on taking a turn. They never really grow out of them, they just use them differently.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I don't think they ever do. Mine now uses them for science experiments!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• My boys played with theirs until about the age of 10 or 11. Then it was about electronics. Enjoy the toys phase while you can. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2013