Did any of you get depressed when you sent your kids off to school for the first time?

I'm really excited for my daughter and the opportunities that await her at school. She can hardly wait to go. But I'm feeling depressed at the same time, to the point of finding it hard to get out of bed or do anything. Will this pass? Is it normal?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was fine when my kids went off to preschool. But that 1st day of kindergarten was awful. I cried and cried and cried. The 1st day of middle school and the 1st day of high school I also cried. My daughter starts her senior year soon and I likely will cry. I'm sure when she turns 18, then when she graduates and then when she moves out, I will cry.

It's all part of life though. Kids go thru different stages. I think crying is God's way of helping mom's cope with it all. I feel better once I have cried. Then I pick myself up and move on. You will survive. Everything will be ok and in a few years you will think back to this with a smile.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yes
    The 1st day he went to Early Childhood class,I cried like a baby.
    He didn't even care,lol. He just hopped up on the bus and sat down.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• My daughter bawled like a baby when her big brother got on the school bus without her for Kindergarten. She was 2. I admit, a few tears dropped off my chin too. But, I had to not show so she'd stop crying.

Last year she finally got to go to school too, just like her big brother. I LOVED that she finally got to go to school too. I was pissed that she only got to go for half-day kindergarten. This year she's in 1st grade and we'll ALL enjoy the break from each other during the day. There are 17 more days until school starts here, and ALL of us are impatiently waiting.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yes. I cried and paced the floor all day until she came home. I'm over it now and can't wait for school to start back up.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Mine started Kindergarten last week. I actually wasn't as depressed as I thought I'd be, haha, but that might just be because I have something for myself lined up now that he's going and I could tell he was ready, so it was time. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I had tears well up when my youngest started. I felt a but uneasy for about the 1st week. But each day got a little easier, when she would come home & share the stories about what they did that day. Trust me, it will pass.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• It will pass and it is totally normal.it is the first little steps towards the actual letting go...you will survive all of it and everything will be ok.

Answer by older at 8:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Nope. I expect I will be doing a happy dance.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• yes, cried too but it is exciting I love it when they come home and tell you all about their first day and all of the friends that they made.
    n8nnickmom

Answer by n8nnickmom at 2:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• The weird thing is, it didn't bother me when I sent my daughter to preschool. I loved the free time, and she bopped on into that classroom like she owned the place. She made friends right away and learned a lot. But somehow, this kindergarten thing is ripping my guts out.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2013