shrimp??

ok so iam like 6 weeks prego now and i went out to eat and had shrimp cocktail and it had a lot of shrimp and was soo good well later on today someone told me that iam not supposed to eat it when iam pregnant is this true? will this hurt my baby? cause i love shrimp so much

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 9:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor said a little at a time is ok.I would ask your doctor.
    Jennifer_24

Answer by Jennifer_24 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Shrimp is very low in mercury. You may need to ask your doc about it....but you can have fish, just not too much. The larger the ocean fish, the more mercury it has....you should stay away fromt hings like shark and swordfish....I'm pretty sure you can still have tuna and salmon in very small amounts....but shrimp, I know....just eating it 1 time didn't hurt your little one.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You can eat shrimp and crab, just limit your fish intake. It is the mercury that is the concern you can safely eat 2 cans of tuna( or another type of fish, just an example of how much) a week. One shrimp is not going to hurt. I ate fish and crap and shrimp while preggo and my lo is fine.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 9:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had shrimp while I was pregnant and nothing is wrong with my son. He is very healthy and active. I found that eating what you are use to helps keep you happy and satisfied, I wouldn't recommend changing your diet because later after you have your child he needs to be use to the types of foods that you eat in your family and household.
    jrsmile

Answer by jrsmile at 9:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You know what I want to know, if fish is so bad while you are prego than why are all of the Chinese babies fine? Those mama's eat sushi all the time! Just never understood that. I'm sure the shrimp you ate was fine. Don't stress it. My sis is a big seafood person and she ate fish all the time while prego. She craved it all the time. My nephew is fine.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009