Is $100 a month expensive for a gym membership?

It's $80 for me & $20 extra for my 5yo. He gets to play in their kidzone for 2 hours. So whatever class I do & whatever workout I do has to be done in 2 hours, which is fine. Included is a a variety of scheduled classes like spinning, yoga, pilates, etc. Plus there's an indoor & outdoor pool. Would you spend that much or look for a less expensive place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• If you plan on using it regularly and it fits into your budget then, no. I personally wouldn't spend $1200
    a year on gym membership. Do you have any YMCAs? Is it a contract membership? Can you get out of it if you find you are getting your money's worth?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• When I used to have one, I preferred to buy a punch card for thirty visits. Then it was up to me when I went and how long I took to use up the punches on the card.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Not getting your money's worth I meant
    Izsarejman

• I really don't know. Because my DH is retired military and we go to the gym on Post for free. You would really have to check around.

Answer by louise2 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• It is to *me*. But if you feel you're getting what you want, and you're not breaking the bank, then no worries.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Check the Y, and also check to see if you or anyone else in your family has access to a discounted membership as a work/insurance perk. I know my old job offered both - reduced price membership and a discount on your insurance if you had the membership and used it at least twice a week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I guess it would depend on how often you went

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• That seems like a lot. There are gyms in our area that go for as low as $20./mth. I would also check with the Y in your area, esp. since you are involving your children.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I think it is, because I spent $50/mo and daycare was free for an hour.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• If it knew for sure I would use it more than twice a week I would.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2013