Do you ever truly get over...

Do you ever truly get over your first love? A love that you were with for a very long time?

My first love has an ex wife he was with for about 9 years. He said they've been through a lot together , like being homeless and stuff. But he says I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him. We've been together for 2 years.

What are your thoughts, or experiences?

Mommy2bbyboy

Asked by Mommy2bbyboy at 9:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Relationships

• I got over my 1st love pretty quickly. All it took was to see that he never really grew up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I think it depends a lot on the reason they broke up and if he was willing to do so.

My FIL and his second ex (my husband's step-mom) were close till the day he died. They were great friends but couldn't live together, even though they were married for about a decade. On the other hand, he and DH's mother barely tolerated each other and they were married for longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I've been over my first love for a long time.

But if he says you are the best thing that has ever happened to him, why are you questioning it?

I was with my ex DH for 10 years. I've been with my DH for almost 9. These 9 years have been much better then the 10 with my ex. Just because you were together longer, doesn't mean the love was stronger.

But, if you keep questioning what was and not enjoying what is--you risk damaging the what is.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 9:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I don't think you ever completely forget. I love my ex, and I always will. But that doesn't mean it would be good for me to have stayed married to him, and it doesn't mean I would go back. Still loving him doesn't make me incapable or unwilling to have a new relationship and love my boyfriend as well. The thing about love is that there's always enough to go around.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• A bad marriage is easy to get over when abuse was suffered.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2013