How do you raise the self esteem of a 15 year old girl?

my daughter was sexually abused as a young child. She is now 15 and thinks her only self worth is sexually. I have done therapy and groups. Nothing has worked so far.

jprattrn

Asked by jprattrn at 9:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I am really not trying to be mean. But the first thing that comes to mind is,,,,,,,,,,I hope you have her on some sort of BC. A baby is not going to help her self esteem.

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• What role does her father play in her life? A decent father can give a young woman plenty of self esteem

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• If the therapy & the groups have not helped, then they were not a good fit for her. She needs more help. Also, sports or a hobby that will give her a sense of self worth & accomplishment will help her. I also agree with having a strong father figure in her life. If not her dad, then an uncle, a G-pa. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Yes she is on birth control. She has never known her father, but has two very strong father figures in her life. Therapies/groups have always been easy for her. She tells everyone what they want to hear and they believe her. the risks she is taking are online with 40+ year old men....child predators.
    jprattrn

Comment by jprattrn (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Then revoke her Internet access, for goodness sake! Get Net Nanny or something. She's still young enough for you to control her access to dangerous situations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• I would talk to her therapist about what you are seeing. Tell the doc that she is faking it, and not really healing. If this therapist isn't working, personally, I would find another.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2013

• Being a teen is hard when you don't have all the baggage that she has. But I think you need to talk to her therapist. Tell the therapist what you are seeing and feeling.

But also, what is she good at? Everyone has a talent. Try to find that talent and bring it out.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 6:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Here is one from left field - is there a fashion modeling class she can take? It might just be the ticket.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• OMG didn't read about the online activity with older male predators. Heck yeah, pull the plug on the internet or use heavy duty internet controls. That child is an accident waiting to happen.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Something that might help is equine therapy. Along with the equine therapy, just exposure to horses in general seem to uplift the spirits of young women who have been abused.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 4:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2013