when can i start to potty train ,

lizofone

Asked by lizofone at 9:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• im going to start when my daughter is 2 she goes sometimes but i would say around 2
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I believe the "experts" say when your child knows they are wet or can tell you they need to be changed. If it is a boy, I hope you have better luck then we did, he was tough, my girls were so much easier
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well we started at two and he was fully potty trained with little accidents in like 3 months he was sooo easy. I think our DD will be the same and we may start earlier since at 9 months she already is super fussy when wet. Just wait until your child is ready. We tried at 18 months with our son and he wasnt having it so we backed off, then only in a few months he was showed intrest and signs of being ready so we followed his cues and it was successful. Also we got one of those pottys that make noise when used and he got a kick out of it.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 9:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have a 18month old, and of course everyone has their own opinion, but I started to introduce my son to a toddler pottie at 6 months old and now he is 18 months old and is in pull ups and is enjoying the pottie. He likes to look at magazines while he is on it....lol. Take it at their pace and be patient, they will come around.
    jrsmile

Answer by jrsmile at 9:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The short answer... any time you want.
    The long answer...
    The earlier you start, the fewer "readiness" signs your child shows, the longer you will be training. No matter what age you start, a child will fully take over his "potty duties" - getting himself to the potty when he needs to go and using it with little to no help - at about the same age. So, you can start shortly after birth and be done at 38 months or you can start at 36 months and be done at 38 months. It all depends on your child.
    It's your choice: fewer diapers, more effort, longer time, bragging rights of "we've started training" OR more diapers, less work, shorter time, bragging rights of "we're working with our child, not forcing him". Both have pros and cons. Your choose what's right for you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Thank you Kaycee...that kept me from having to write all that out. I think I am going to write up something on potty training and copy it every time someone asks this question. My son is almost 3 and hes simply not ready. He can pee but he refuses to do anything else. I am letting him do it on his own. I ve been there done that and it didn't work.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2009