What other dog breed is good for a home with a siberian husky and cats?

I really would like to have a dog that is good with kids and other pets. Also one that doesn't bark too much. And one that can be left alone for 8 hours.

zachysmommy04

Asked by zachysmommy04 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pets

• So you already have a Siberian husky and a few cats? No dog should be left alone for over 8 hours, they need to be taken out atleast 2-3 times in that 8 hours... We have an English Springer Spaniel and he's great with our son and other animals, My dad has a golden retriever and she's so amazing with kids! I would recommend those breeds for sure, But I don't think you need anymore animals...
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 9:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Sorry if that came off harsh, but I love animals and no dog should be left alone for 8 hours...That's just my opinion, right or wrong...Maybe you should consider an animal that could be left alone for hours at a time, maybe a fish? We have a betta fish, and hes so pretty to watch, we bought him a nice aquarium (poor thing was in a small cup at the petstore, bless his poor soul) lol, rescue a betta fish from your local pet store!
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had a Lab that was great with other animals, cats, and children. She sometimes had to be left at home for long periods of time and was very good. She NEVER used the bathroom in the house & she had free run of the house. Also when she was left in a pen outside she wouldnt "go" in her pen either. But she was a very intelligent dog, we were very lucky, we found her as a stray and she was already that smart and trained. We recentley lost her in an accidenet, and miss her terribly. I would recommend a Lab to anyone!!!! I hope I helped!
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 9:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I only put in 8 hours because if I start to work and if me and my husband has jobs that we would start at the same time the dog would be along for a while. We plan on putting in a dog door and a new deep fence in the yard soon. So they can go outside and run around. I just don't want her to be lonely.I don't work right now so they all get my full attention. But the way the world is I might have to go back to work. And also if it helps my dog is trained on puppy pads. And crate trained.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Maybe you shouldn't get a dog, If your not going to fully give your time to them, nor be home often, it's not fair for them...
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 10:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Labs are a perfect family dog, but they are brats unti;l they are about 3...any animal needs time and attn, just make sure you have that to give.Dogs are pack animals, and you are a part of their pack.So if they will be without interction for an extended peiod of time, see about someone stopping in to play/walk/deed...if you cannot afford to do that, then really hold ff on another pet.It is great to love animals...not so great to place your needs above theirs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Your husky gets along with cats? My grandmother has always kept them, and they've always killed anything that remotely resembles game! I wouldn't suggest anything that couldn't hold its own in an arguement!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• What about another husky? I have a pit-lab mix that gets along ok with my parents husky when we are there. But their husky is 13 now, so he's just grumpy. My pit-lab barks though, I won't say a lot, but if someone else has a dog in their backyard and he starts barking, my dog will bark back. I always liked huskies because they don't ever bark
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• How about a malamute, very similar to a husky and if you get one as a puppy there is a good chance that he/she would do fine with cats also. Mine always have :o) You really don't need to justify anything to anyone, if you take care of your animals it's no one's business. Maybe in the perfect world we could all be like MissKelli but here in the real world, we do the best we can and if you can provide a loving safe environment for another dog I say go for it, you could be saving a life :o)
    Anonymous

• Pardon me "in the perfect world"...no i wish i lived in a "perfect world" i'm just trying to say, maybe another pet isnt such a great idea if you are working throughout the day...common sence, no?
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 9:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2009