Would you ignore it if your 19 yr old called you a "pain in the a**"?

I'm keeping the car keys in order to establish some financial responsibility and was met with that statement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• In that context, they're walking for a very long time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Ditto NP. IMO that would add on to the time he would be without the car
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• ^^^I agree with the above then make him/her mow the lawn. Tell them they can ride on the lawn mower (the push kind)! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Well, I would not ignore it, but having been though the teen years I would have acknowledged that I might seem like a pain in their back side sometimes and I understand them feeling that way. However I would remind them of the respect we treat each other with in our house. It would have been done calmly and matter of fact as we tried to do most times in our family. Having said that, I also probably would have tacked on another few hours to holding the keys and they would have understood why.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I would keep the car longer, and inform the 19 year old, What is a pain in the ass, is the fact I have to do it in the first place, enjoy the bus!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• 19 and saying that to me? Would get a 30 notice to move out.
    I would say "tell you start acting like a responsible adult. I will keep being a pain in the ass"

Answer by louise2 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I agree with silverthreads....talk and work everything out.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Honestly, I would work harder at making myself a pain in the ass so she knew what one really was. Funny how you are a pain in the ass, but her actions drove you to give her some consequences. What does that make her?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• There would be no car to keep if that happened.
    GrandmaO2008

Answer by GrandmaO2008 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Is this 19 yo a mentally ill daughter who is refusing to accept any personal responsibility?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2013