My mother in law

she is really upsetting me she has never took an interest in me and she is down in our area visiting and now here to stay, really wish she would invite me to the lake with her, she drives a van so she could take all of us me and my three children, yesterday she went to a family birthday party for one of her ex's nieces sons birthday and I wish she would have invited me to go along with her and my sons but no she just asked if she could take them.

n8nnickmom

Asked by n8nnickmom at 11:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• Why don't you invite her to lunch or something?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Maybe you should invite her to do something? Now, I thought you were just engaged, not married? I wouldn't expect anyone to invite me anywhere, but think you should try to build a relationship with her.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2013

• it's possible she is trying to give you some "Me" time.

are you set on dealing with this yourself or have u considered mentioning if to her son? (your hubby, fiance, boyfriend, etc)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• we are not married but I consider him my husband and call him that on here, and yes we are engaged, and his mother considers me her daughter in law anyway we have a strained relationship.
    n8nnickmom

Comment by n8nnickmom (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Perhaps you can try "Would you mind if I came along too?"
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Invite her to lunch at your house or a nice place to eat. Invite her to go with u and the kids to the park for a picnic.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Why would you want your mother-in-law to invite you someplace if you have a strained relationship with her? Do you really want to go, or Is this just another reason for you to be angry with your mother-in-law? If you really want to go, how about approaching the host of the party and offering to bring something? And like others have said, invite your mother-in-law to a park or a museum or someplace with your kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• our relationship is strained because she has no interest in me or my family, until recently, well this past year she is bipolar and ex drug addict and she borrows money from us and doesn't pay us back, I tell my SO no but he just keeps letting her borrow more, she comes over and only talks about her friends and in the past I have offended her but I have apologized and am working on watching what I say, I tend to be quite blunt and need to filter better, I have been working on it and so far so good.
    n8nnickmom

Comment by n8nnickmom (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Your SO's actions distress me more than anything. Never mind YOU being close to her. He needs to put you FIRST, and he's not willing to do so if he's giving money to her against your will. That would make me send him HOME to mama for GOOD.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I took some advice given invited her to lunch she said she just ate then invited her over she came over and I tried talking to her but she wouldn't listen to me then she just used my phone and computer then left to go visit another friend as well as complain about no money and all her problems with not being able to find a place to live because of no money or a way to to get her stuff or a place to put her stuff when she gets it. I want to give up and tell her to stay out of our life but I have no other family to offer to my children my parents are dead and my brother is a loser who molested me SO brother and sister never come over really like maybe 3 times a year and we argue with them about how they are absent in our kids lives when they love them so much, we call them all the time stop by their house and they are never home or busy. we are definetly not rich in family
    n8nnickmom

Comment by n8nnickmom (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2013