The start of night training

My son is almost 4 yrs old and he's pooping and potting on the toilet now. Now I'm trying to transfer to working on night training. his language isn't always the best. I'm just wondering how you started training your kids on going to the bathroom in the middle of night. Especially boys as they are different then girls. but any feedback is appreciated.
thanks,

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you dont teach them to not wet at night
    it is completely different than toilet teaching

at night you release a hormone to reduce urine production and a hormone to wake you when your bladder is full
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• so if he's constantly wetting the bed. He might just not be ready then.
    Sillylins

Comment by Sillylins (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• It takes around 6 months after they are fully day time potty trained for them to become night time potty trained.

Things to help:
    1) cut off drinks of whatever 1 hour before bed time
    2) have him go potty as the last thing before climbing into bed to sleep
    3) have him go potty first thing in the morning when he gets up
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I just kept my daughter in pull-ups at night even after she was well trained during the day. When the pull-ups were consistently dry in the morning, I switched her to underwear. She did the rest. We only went through about a half a bag of pull-ups before she was done with them, so maybe we were lucky.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• He maybe reading for toilet teaching
    Thats entirely different
    That is teaching him to recognize physical cues

You can keep them dry with the above suggestions but not teach them
    And relax. Its ok. It may or may not happen quickly
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Ready!
    Ugh
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• some kids can't wake up when the "urge" comes, I really would just keep him in nightime pull ups or diapers until he can sleep at night without wetting the bed, some kids can't do this for awhile, it doesn't mean anything other than they are deep sleepers or have small bladders.
    You could try the ones that get cold, but they may have trouble getting back to sleep.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• It varies all over the place when children can stay dry at night. I know kids who were 6,8,10 before being dry all night. Perfectly normal. Use a night time pullup until you see a consistent dry one in the AM....like two weeks or more.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• we ALWAYS figured out the 1/2 way point and woke 'em.... and then eventually the muscles tighten and the learn the urge to go feeling.... or else nothing by mouth for quite some time before bed and assume they'll make it til morning. It's a huge rule in my house no horseplay or screwing around in the morning. Once your eyes open you get your booty on the toilet seat.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• You can't do anything to help it. It can take years. Wait until he's dry for two weeks then take the pullups away. My son was a teen.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2013