What do you think about this...

My friend's wedding is on my sons birthday which happens to fall on a Saturday. Normally our tradition is aside from any birthdya parties planned the actually birthday is a really big deal. Basically they are the boss for that day (within reason).. For this reason I do not want to go to my friends wedding, well I DO WANT to go but I think my son and our family tradition is more important. I do feel horrible for my friend but feel strongly about this so i'm not sure if i'm doing the right thing.

Also, a little side note. We are not as close as we usd to me. She was in my wedding because we were really close at the time. Since then (9 almost 10 years ago) we've grown apart but always kept in touch somewhat. Over the past almost year i've been having a hard time and i was calling her a lot. She rarely called me back and lately almost never calls me back.

What do you guys think? What should I do?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• A wedding invitation is not an obligation. She's obviously not as close as you once were, because she doesn't know about your birthday tradition.

Send a nice gift with your regrets you cannot attend.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Well if she's not a close friend I wouldn't feel bad for not going. You could also celebrate his birthday the day before or after the wedding if your ds doesn't mind and you really want to go. Did you already RSVP?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• How old is your kid? If the kid is old enough. I have always felt that kids need to learn they do not get everything they want. So saying that. Just make his day a different day.

Answer by louise2 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I think the kid would be easier to negotiate with. I think not going to the wedding is going to cause alot of bad blood between you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• She might not have returned your calls as much b/c she was busy planning her wedding. Obviously if you feel strongly about it, then don't go. But consider this, yes your child's birthday is special & important. But delaying the festivities by 1 day won't really matter too much to him, Or moving them up a day (celebrate on a Fri.). But your friend's wedding will only happen once. (well hopefully only once)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• If the kid is old enough, ask him if he would mind being king for a day on Sunday instead of Saturday.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I really do get both sides of this... She wasn't busy plannig he wedding because she they just set the date recently. We are not as close but have always had a connection. I love her dearly. Im' so torn!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I kind of think that the older it is the worse it is. Traditions are very important to us and now he knows what to expect. And also to be honest, I want to be with him on his birthday!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• He will be 7
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Send your regrets so she can adjust that amount of food she is purchasing etc. Send a gift.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2013