If you became disabled do you think that would give you compassion?

I am taking the high road, and asking if you became brain injured and were unable to take care of yourself, would you feel the same about autistic, down's syndrome, cerebal palsy, or whatever wouldn't fit in with "your" idea of the norm?
It makes me sad to see mothers who are cruel, and have no understanding of what having a special needs child takes day in and day out.
Sometimes karma is a bitch, I remember a young man from my high school who taunted a down's syndrome boy every day, he ended up getting hit by a train, and is now a vegetable.
Speechless and sick, paxi, I miss you.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Don't know if FP is back yet. I hear cooler heads are prevailing and they are being allowed back case by case. Yeah I know exactly one person this post could be for. Whether or not she will see it is another matter.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I'm thinking you are speaking of empathy. Unfortunately, it is hard for some to understand anything until they have walked in the others' shoes. By the same token, I was in a really bad car accident when I was 15. That put the fear in me to always drive safe and to never ride with anyone who wasn't..... I always think that helped me when I saw other friends die because they didn't have that fear put into them. Many people think they are invincible.... Same concept.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• This question isn't really meant for me. I have three kids on the autism spectrum so I don't know if it would give me anymore compassion or not. I would pretty much feel the same. You know FP is still a member she just cannot answer questions here. I miss her too Her and the super nun cannon. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I have loads of compassion. I have a moderately autistic son who is almost completely non-verbal
    I can honestly say,i've always been kind to those with disabilities. I was the girl in school that friended the deaf girl,the autistic boy,and the girl with CP

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• You know FP is still a member she just cannot answer questions here. I miss her too Her and the super nun cannon. LOL
    ******

*whispers* I thought she came back...no?
    *then again I have not been on much since yesterday morning, and I could have been imagining things!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Aww, you're so cute and sweet. Like the poor Dodos who had never seen a human before and trusted them implicitly. We know what happened to them :)

You actually didn't KNOW anyone who does not fit the cookie cutter mold of perfection should be locked up in an institution.
    Only to be trotted out as a spectacle for the viewing pleasure of the perfect public?

Or as a cautionary tale?

Poor dearie- give it time and more intelligent people than you will be more than happy to educate you on the social etiquette of bigots.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I've always felt I was compassionate and empathetic to those with disabilities or who are differently able. It wasn't until my daughter was diagnosed with MS, however, that I TRULY got a taste for the struggles that go along with a chronic, debilitating disease. Everything from applying for but never receiving SSDI, trying to figure out how she can care for her child when no one is around, how to afford the three MRI's she has to have every three months (at $25K a whack), even how to get her to the grocery store.

I realized I knew NOTHING prior to that.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• No 2autistic, the question isn't meant for you, but love your comments anyway! The question is meant for those who become "put out" with special needs people, and don't have the brain god gave them to thank the lucky stars they don't have to live it day in and day out.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• We just do not get to pick the life.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• i already have compassion for the disabled and im not disabled. some people just lack empathy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2013