Scenic railroad travel?

I'm watching a documentary on scenic rail travel. It looks like it would be so much fun and beautiful scenery,

Have you ever done one?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 6:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Travel

• No, but Amtrak use to have a trip where it went from Niagara Falls all the way to Vancouver. I wanted to do that one but I don't think they have it anymore.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• The train through the Canadian Rockies is supposed to be a good one.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• As a kid , not in a long time.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• They just showed that Rockies one! They stop and let people swim in the frreezong water. Those folks are nuts!

I did the Tx State Railroad a few years ago for an annual meeting. It was a dinner train and we got held up by thieves. It was hilarious. One of my friends said I was a chicken thief. I got picked up and slung over some big guys shoulder and toted to the other end of the train. I was so embarrassed.

It was a night ride so we didn't get to enjoy the scenery. There is a steam train in Austin I want to take the kids to ride.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• i don't know if this counts but ive been on the great smoky mountain railroad, very beautiful.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Ooohhhh, Tnm, they had that one on too. This is a 3 hour documentary. It's interesting but I'm ready to return to 1779.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Not yet...maybe one day.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I did a fairly short one on the Durango&Silverton, CO. We could only go halfway due to snow on the tracks, but it was really beautiful.

The ride back was a little boring since we had already seen the view.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I've always wanted to ride a train. I couldn't look at the scenery, but still, the experience would be worth having.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• no
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2013