What are the earliest signs of autism?

My DD is 14 months old and seems...somehow different from other children I know that are her age. What should I be looking out for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I found these red flags on Autism Speaks. They also have a list of Milestones to check out. I tried to copy/paste but I ran out of room.

• No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter

• No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter

• No babbling by 12 months

• No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months

• No words by 16 months

• No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months

• Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Also other signs are repetitive behavior one kid used to rub his feet back and forth on the floor.. but from what I thought it is not very easily diagnosed so young.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son would spin...car wheels, himself. Anything circular was his best friend (and still is). he was antisocial. Couldn't stand to be held let alone touched, and would cry uncontrollably. Could not be comforted.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well, she has met all of her milestones, some early, some right when the books say she should. And I know you cant always go by the books. But sometimes she just worries me. Like I said, she is 14 months old, and she will sit and play by herself for long periods of time, and just be in her own world it seems. She will take her doll and "feed her", wrap her in her blanket, dress her. And she plays with this doll for sometime more than 2 hours. Only stopping to ask for juice or to show me the doll. Then she just goes back to playing. Is it normal for such a young child to not require a lot of one on one time? Or is this something that I should worry about?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2009