Playground wood chips - does your school have them?

They switched from pea gravel to wood chips on the playground at DS' school this year. The first day, he came home with wood slivers stuck all over his shoelaces and his socks (his shoelace was so bad you couldn't tie them, they were so thick). Today he wore shorts for the first time, and he completely shredded both knees at recess. It got him a trip to the nurse and a few bandaids, so I know they know about it.

Supposedly, this was to be safer than the pea gravel...he never came home cut up from the gravel, even after falling off the arm swing bars.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• That stinks... I have no idea how they think that is better.

Our school doesn't have any kind of barrier over the dirt. They just have dirt and rocks.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I hate it. I was picking pieces of wood off of the shoes, the socks and off my floor for years. I've been good the last couple of years because he's in Middle school. My younger child will be starting kindergarten next year and I'll have to deal with it for 6 more years.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• The slivers on his shoes don't bother me as much a the cuts (they do bother me, but blood trumps inconvenience). From the sound of it, she spent a while checking to make sure there were no slivers stuck in his knees. I'm wondering how much of her day is spent on this now.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• The girls had that at daycare. My oldest granddaughter, being the wild animal she is, told us she hated it because she couldn't wear her flip flops because the wood hurt. The school uses some shredded tire stuff that's compressed. It's okay.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I haven't been on the playground at my daughter's new school yet, but she didn't come home with wood chips today. I know how hideous they are because the playground at our condo complex has them. The playground at her preschool had some kind of foam rubber mats. I grew up with the pea gravel and never had an issue with it. The other awful stuff they use now is shredded car tires. That crap gets everywhere!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Nope, DS had sand in his playground. Wood chips trump it for pain inflicted, but mess is definitely sand. He constantly had sand in his hair and had to take his shoes off outside and dump them out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• We have mulch also wish it was the recycled rubber it's so much nicer,gentler and cleaner imo.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• nope not at all...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2013