Do any other school do this?

My son is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks and today i got a list from the school telling me what i need to get for supplies. Which I thought was nice. It had on the basics backpack, lunch bag, crayons, pencils, one box of tissues and one bottle of hand sanitizer. What i found odd was that at the bottom of the list it said that the crayons, pencils, tissues and hand sanitizer were all going to be collected by the teacher on the first day of class and then handed out through out the year to all of the children. So I was wondering if any other schools have the parents buy supplies that are used by the whole class or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yep.. it is called community supplies. Our school does it through elementary school. I think it is just fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Yep. Just remember, your kid will also be using stuff brought in by someone else. I have seen different forms of this. One year I was asked to send in several boxes of tissues. Another parent was asked to send in x containers of hand sanitizer. Different teachers do it a bit differently. .
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• A lot of schools do, but thankfully my son has been spared it the past several years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I was just wondering. It's been about 8 years now since i graduated high school and we never had to do it so I was wondering if it was a new thing or not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Yes, many people think they are having to supply other kids, but it's not true. The reason why schools do this is that way the teacher is not having to write notes to Johnny's mom that he needs more pencils or that Mary's mom needs to send in more crayons. It cuts down on a lot of time wasters. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• yep, but I don't mind. Id rather send stuff and possibly not have to supply shop later.
    GrandmaO2008

Answer by GrandmaO2008 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• This is common procedure in Miami...

Answer by older at 8:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I was asked to buy a similar list of supplies, which were all collected by the teacher to be used for the class as needed throughout the year. The teacher made each child a green cardboard toolbox with the same basic supplies in it--scissors, glue sticks, crayons, etc. Each day, the child leaves his or her toolbox in the cubby for the next day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Yep. I never had a problem with those but buying dry erase markers, dry erasers, ream of paper, staples, double A batteries one year was a bit much for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Most schools seem to do community supplies now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2013