Just found out

Today I was talking to my daughters brothers mom and found out that our BD went to jail sat. He went to jail for disorderly conduct and purchasing alcohol for a minor!!! Now I haven't seen or spoken to BD in two months I found out his charges from the jail. He won't get out til oct 1st. So I guess my ? Is would you allow your daughter or son to see their dad after gettin charges like these? Oh btw the minor was a 15 yr old girl

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'd probably see about getting the court order changed to ensure the visits are supervised.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• As of right now he has no legal visitations with her.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• "As of right now he has no legal visitations with her."

Were you allowing him to visit with her prior? If not, then the fact that there's nothing legal is place is good. It means you don't have to go back to court. If you were allowing him to see her before then I think I'd suggest you talk to your attorney to determine the best way to handle this
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Were you allowing him to visit with her prior? If not, then the fact that there's nothing legal is place is good. It means you don't have to go back to court. If you were allowing him to see her before then I think I'd suggest you talk to your attorney to determine the best way to handle this
    __
    ^^^^^^
    THIS!! If you had been allowing visitation without a court order and it was regular, he can challenge it. (at least that is what my sister was told by her lawyer as she didn't' have any custody order) So if you were, please do talk to a lawyer.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 8:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• We had an agreement at one point for supervised visitations but the agreement was never signed and submitted with the courts ... My attorney at the time failed to do that. So for the past few yrs I've allowed her to visit with him. My dds brothers mom was with him until recently and she's a good mom and stable so I didn't see an issue wit dd goin wit them.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I'd find a new attorney and get a good agreement in place. Not having one sets you up for potential problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I do have sole custody and have court papers proving that. He has never visited with her regularly ever since she was born its been see him once or twice and not see him or hear from him for months
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Also in my state ( IN) I think if there is no contact for 6 months then I can file abandonment charges I wonder if that's a good idea?
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• When he gets out if he asks to see her, I would let them visit each other but if he does not get in contact I would not contact him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• I wouldn't want him to see my daughter unsupervised.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2013