School Supplies S/O

The question got me thinking about community supplies.

My daughter's school supply list asks you to get like 2-4 things of everything, except pencil boxes and scissors which they get to keep. The list, however, is VOLUNTARY for her school. As in, not required lol

Last night on FB, I saw a few moms whining about it. They were upset that they had to get more than 1 of everything to buy for the other students. I never thought of it that way. I thought they might need 3 different prong folders for maybe 3 different subjects? 2 packs of pencils because they get broken/lost easily? I know it all goes to a commmunity supply because you aren't allowed to write their names on anything.

If your school supply list asks this, does it bother you to have to supply for the other kids? (That is, if the list is mandatory)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Show me one student who didn't use more than one thing of glue stick, one box of crayons, 1 pack of pencils, etc for the entire year, and I will show you a student who didn't get a proper education. Only using one of anything is absolutely ridiculous. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• It does in some respects. From what I saw the year DS had a community supply room, they were treated as disposable. Broke a pencil? Just grab a new one. Broke a crayon, just grab a different one. They needed more replacements because nobody had any incentive to not waste things. It's not supplying for other kids, it's supplying 3 times what they need and not teach them how to take care of their things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• It never bothered me. I also bought extras and donated them to Fill The Bus. I don't mind that not everyone can afford supplies. It is what it is and better I spend a little extra than the teacher get screwed and have to spend even more of her money.

kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• No, because mostly everyone else is supplying as well. Kids are rough on these supplies, and considering for the most part, they're all receiving free educations I don't think its a big deal to shell out maybe $30 in supplies at the beginning of the school year. Now's the time to buy, not midway through when the prices quadruple.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• It costs me less than $50 for elementary school supplies. Not a big deal to me. I remember being that kid whose parents didn't have enough for extra pencils and loose leaf paper.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Doesn't bother me either. I am happy to help kids less fortunate. Whether that means that their parents can't afford school supplies or the parents are whiny little botches that refuse to buy supplies for kids to share.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• He's in 5th grade now. That's shared year was the only year we had a letter home half way through the year begging for more supplies. Every other year, it's him saying he needs a few more pencils. If he lost one crayon, oh well, he didn't have that color anymore, or he could borrow (and take care of) someone else's once in a while, or he could take one of that color in from his box at home. Or he needed one more glue stick (not 6 more per student for the class).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Nope, it doesn't bother me. Why? Because I work at a school where the kids don't bring stuff in, we have a negative budget and supplies get used. I refuse to give my students a subpar education so guess who buys the things they need? I spend a lot of money on supplies and I only have 10 students. I can't image how much a teacher with a class of 25 students would spend in a year if they didn't have parents willing to help.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• That would bug me too, NP. The children should be taught to take care of their things also.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2013

• Oh, wow, well I can see why that would annoy you. They don't ask for more supplies at all throughout the year, just the one (voluntary) time at the start of the year and that's it. I think we have a lot of donations and stuff made, that might be why.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2013