School hasn't even started and I'm already the idiot mom!

Got a letter in the mail on Thursday from my son's new teacher about open house today at 6pm. Perfect, I thought, because I'd taken today off of work to tie up last minute school stuff (doctors appt, shopping, etc.) plus my husband had off.

So we get there and as the other parents start filing in I notice none of them brought their kids. We had our son with us, he played quietly in the corner (thank God). As the meeting went on I kept hearing other parents ask questions about what the kids should bring tomorrow and I began to freak because I swore school started on Wednesday!!!

At the end of the meeting I pulled out the letter and re-read it and sure enough it stated that tonight's meeting was for parents ONLY and there is another tomorrow at 9am for parents and students. School does start Wednesday. I was mortified!! Luckily he was pretty well behaved while we were there but OMG I felt dumb. In my defense, last week was crazy busy but still. We can't attend tomorrow anyway because I'd already taken off most of last week while we were out of town, plus today. So it's sorta good he got to meet his teacher and see the class before hand. But way to make an impression right!? I apologized to the teacher who was of course nice about it. But now I'm "that" mom. Ugh.

Just a vent, but I guess I need a question. Have you ever been "that" mom? Lol.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh have done my share of getting confused but rest assured THAT mom will be replaced by another THAT mom soon enough.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Don't worry. You might be 'that mom' for the moment, but it won't take long before some other mom does something worse, probably a whole lot worse. I was 'that mom' too because somehow I missed the fact that school supplies were supposed to be brought and delivered to the open house the week before last, so I walked in empty-handed. But I got it sorted out in the end, and like I said, someone more worthy will steal the idiot prize from me soon enough. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No biggie, I would think people thought your sitter cancelled at last minute
    Good thing you heard about the first dat being Tuesday...now, that would have been an oops

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't have even noticed. Two meetings before the first day of school? That's inefficient!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Yep. DH was out of town on curriculum night last year and I had to bring both of my kids with me. It was no picnic, but we got through it. Most parents don't bring their kids, but I couldn't leave them at home alone, so they had to come. I just wish I had known they would drill it into us that they would be emailing the powerpoint presentation of their talk to all of the parents and that if you had questions that we would have to email them instead of having them answered directly at curriculum night. Yeah, guess what I'm skipping this year?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I know, 2 meetings is kind of inconvenient but I'm used to being the working mom who can't make everything. I'm hoping the other parents will realize we're not there tomorrow and think I was just being smart by bringing him tonight to get acclimated to the classroom haha.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I am sure no one thought much of it, we had a teacher -parent mtg then open house for kids. While we didn't take ours to parent teacher one, several did and I thought nothing of it.
    GrandmaO2008

Answer by GrandmaO2008 at 6:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• no big deal, some parents don't always have a sitter to send their kids to.... my dh and me for example...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I understand your embarrassment but I wouldn't worry! it happens to the best of us! :)
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Awww. Yes, I have been there, feeling that way. I think your conscientiousness is likely to come through clearly and will win out, in terms of perceptions & opinions, in the end!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2013