why do 1st graders...have so much homework?

JRBenelisha

Asked by JRBenelisha at 8:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on your school's philosophy. Some do it to teach responsibility. Ours only have homework (in any grade) if it's a long-term project, daily reading, or something they didn't finish during the day, despite having time allotted for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I agree with NotPanicking. The actual reason for it depends on the school or on the teacher. The same reason doesn't apply to every situation. And not all first graders have homework. My child didn't have any homework until 3rd grade, and even then it was not nightly. Really only a couple of times over the year. This school's philosophy around homework is very explicit, as are their intentions about how much time it should (and should not) take if there IS homework.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My daughters only been at school for a week and already has spelling, math and reading....The teacher emailed the spelling words to us last Friday for a test this Friday. 4 pages of Math...and reading.
    I just think it's a bit much. I don't remember EVER having homework as a 1st grader....I'm old though:)
    JRBenelisha

Comment by JRBenelisha (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• wait until 2nd grade....ahhhhh my daughter is starting 3rd grade on Wednesday next week waiting to see the homework she gets. With having her and a kindergartener I am probably going to spend the rest of my evening doing homework with kids plus try keeping a 2 year old busy lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Just doesn't seem right....
    JRBenelisha

Comment by JRBenelisha (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I don't know why they have tests the first week of school honestly...maybe to see where the child is at? My kids start school usually on Wednesday or Thursday then they have a spelling test on Fridays. My daughter also brought homework home the first day of school since kindergarten
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I've been told that our first grade teacher this year packs on the homework. 2 hours of continuous work per night. School doesn't start here until Monday. I'm dreading it. I'll have 4 dang six year old girls here every school day to babysit and deal with their homework.uuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Im predicting that I will be in a mental hospital within 2 weeks. If I disappear.....call Rusk...or Kerrville.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• So much of the first couple of weeks is purely review. It makes sense that they'd move fast through it.

Elementary kids here average approx 20-30 minutes worth of homework a night, with the time dependent mainly how quickly the child will and can work through the sheets, and then 20 minutes of reading on top of it. It never seemed like all that much to me. 2 worksheets a night, tops, plus reading.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I'm on the other side of the fence - my kid's in Kindergarten and I'm upset that he's not doing enough work - or at least the right level of work for his needs...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My first grader has been in school for 3 weeks. He only gets math homework so far. He gets one worksheet a day. But my son has ADHD and sometimes doesn't do the work he is supposed to in school, and ends up bringing a lot of worksheets home!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2013