Why do I keep getting uti's? adult content

ok So I have had a UTI along long time ago when I was a teenager didn't have another one again until i was about 22 when I was pregnant with my first dd (I know you are more prone when pregnant), but I had to go to ER I didn't know I had one cause I had no symptoms the reason I went to ER is it was 3 weeks before my due date and I was having pain they said I was having contractions from a UTI so they stopped them gave me meds there then a priscription.

I didn't have another one until 3 years ago (so at the time i was 29) I got another one right before I got pregnant that I had treated (that one was the worst one yet it hurt to pee i was spotting oh it was bad) it went away

Then back in march (I am 31 I was 30 at the time) I had another one that I went to the walk in clinic at walgreens (normally I go to my dr but it was a weekend) they gave me meds which it went away but I think i got it from my period cause that is when it started. But then a few weeks later I got it back again, but I think that was because dh and i had sex anally then he went to put it in my private again (i told him to wipe it off first, but obviously didn't matter) next day I had another uti (was the first and only time we did it that way) went to the walgreens again since it was again a weekend they again gave me meds, but this time it started going away, but before the meds was done it came back so i finished the meds anyway waited a couple days when it didn't go away again i went to the walk in clinic (weekend) they gave me more meds it went away this time

a few weeks later was when i started my period and i got it again got meds went away from my dr. But now i was on my period last week and got the feeling of a uti again so this time I just tried the cranberry pills the first sign of it it so far has been fine but I am thinking i am mostly getting them from my period but why? How can I avoid getting them on my period? Can I take the cranberry pills only when I am on my period to avoid getting them? I take showers since having them in the past, I wipe front to back, I don't use sented pads, I don't use tampons, I change them every time I go to the bathroom, I don't have sex on my period, I take 2 showers (morning and night) when I am on my period so I don't know why i keep getting them on my period?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Health

• The meds might not have been strong enough. I've only had two UTI's - and when I went back for the second (which was really close to the first) I was told that maybe the meds I had taken in the first place hadn't been strong enough to completely knock it out of my system. Cranberry can help, but the meds are the most important, IMO. Yogurt is good to eat, too - there are probiotics that help.

Here's a list with more foods that can help. Make sure your'e drinking enough water, and don't NOT go to the dr. because that can make it worse. You might be masking the infection with the cranberry when you really need the antibiotics from the doctor.

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• that is ALL i drink is water use to be addicted to coke, but since I stopped drinking that and not going to other pop I went to water i may drink one gatorade, but the rest is water.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I think you need to be seen by a regular doctor. Not a walk in clinic. You could have an underlying cause that the walk in clinic wouldn't test for or have time to diagnose. Your regular doctor will be able to hlpe you figure it out.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Well I use to get them. I have to change they way I ate, what I wore ( cotton undies now) what I washed my close and body with (no scent and sensitive skin). Water is good but a glass of cranberry juice is good as well if you don't like juice they have pills. I haven't had one in over two years.

I can't use tampons and I have to use pads with the cotton type covering.

I would think this is a given but shower before and after sex too.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• In addition to the great responses you've gotten I was to reiterate that you would probably be best served by picking one doctor and sticking with that one. You're seeing a lot of different providers who may not be going in-depth with your examination. You need to have your urine cultured when you're having an attack to determine what bacteria is growing and they need to be able to determine why the infections are recurring.

JJK is correct in that sometimes there is a structural reason, such as how your urethra is positioned
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Are you peeing immediately after sex? I know you'd like to bask in the afterglow, but your bump and grind pushes bacteria into the urethra.

Pads will also leave you more prone than tampons.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• When you pee, when you go to wipe, do you wipe from front to back? Wiping away from the area you pee? And do you pee right after you have sex? Both those things my doctor told me to do way back when. Because I was getting UTIs a lot.
    I stoped getting them when I started doing those two things.

Answer by louise2 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Are you taking any medications? I had recurring infections for over a year and had to go get a bladder study--now *that's* big fun--and it turned out I had a weak bladder from the muscle relaxers I was taking for fibromyalgia. Once I got rid of those, the infections stopped happening.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• yes I ALWAYS pee right before and right after sex. I use pads because 2 reasons one I can't get the tampons in right and always able to feel them and 2 I bleed really really heavy
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I do take meds for acid reflux (dont remember the name) I also am taking another one for anxiety prozac now you mention it i did start these infections shortly after the meds
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2013