Question

So mil offered to take my son for a month, he'll be 3 on Halloween. Would you let your 3yr old travel a 1000 miles away from you, to live there for a month.?

I live in Texas and she's in Minnesota

jsandberg

Asked by jsandberg at 10:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nope.

And especially since you just had a baby. Do you want him to feel put aside for the new one? Kids don't think like we do and say "cool I get to go to grandmas!" They often (but not always) think "why is she sending me away?" etc…

Having a 3 yr. old and a newborn isn't easy, but gets easier with every passing day. If grandma wants to help, let her visit you and help out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No. I think Grandma should come to you.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• We were always being sent to stay with my grandmother for a month or two over the summer, but much older than that. At that age, it was never more than a week, and when it was a new baby situation, she would go to stay with whichever family was having the baby instead. Try a week, and if that works, see about a longer stay next year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• no

and maybe intention is swwet and kind
    but the outcome my backfire
    grandparents have different rules and tend to spoil children- it is their job
    so when child comes back there will be a huge adjustment, and now a new baby to deal with
    nope, child needs to be around baby to just used to the changes, maybe for a week or two after child just used to sharing mom and dad time with a new sibling
    maybe later child will miss baby sibling when gone and not resent when comes back
    jmo
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No way.. I'd be upset.. ill miss my kid so much.
    aztecqueen22

Answer by aztecqueen22 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• No. Especially with just having a baby. have her come visit and help out for a month.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My kids? No.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2013