For those who let their daughter wear a bikini...

may I ask *why* please?

I understand it logistically for ages birth to 3ish (although we've never bought one, even when daughter was little) because for potty purposes it's a little faster.

My kiddo is 7 and it was 92 degrees here yesterday and we hit the beach as did almost everyone else in town. She was almost the only kid in a one piece in fact she actually could've been the only one. We also had an incident around July 4th when we forgot her suit on a mini vacation and went to Target for an emergency replacement... nothing modest. Whomp whomp. Luckily kmart had 2 to choose from. Anyways she's been asking why why why for so long. We are honest about modesty and every family has different rules for *EVERYTHING* but she is searching for something deeper.
So... why??
Is it because all her friends wear them? Easier toileting? Cheaper? Hand me down and was free?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• because i think they're cute. doesn't it make more sense for a curveless child to wear a bikini then say, a 12 year old with boobs and hips?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I'm right there with you. I get my daughter the tankinis, but the tops are always long enough to go down to the bottoms so unless it hikes up a little it looks like a one piece. She wants a bikini that all of ther friends wear. I just don't think it's necessary. I think I even did tankinis for her when she was 3 and under.
    My brother's daughter who is a couple years younger than mine wears a bikini to 'show off her tummy'. She's going to be in first grade. That just creeped me out.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I never thought the belly button was sexual
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• At 6 years old my daughter wears tankinis that are modest and usually wears boy shorts with hers and honestly for us it is about bathroom breaks. With the tankini I do not have to help her pull it up and down but with the one piece I do.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• odd, mine is almost 7 and doesn't care about showing off her tummy or looking like her friends. she just wants to swim in the pool and doesnt care what she has on.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I just see so much fabric on the sizes like 7, 10, maybe 12. and then BOOM they're boosting and padded.... they go from simple suit to adult cut in a flash. and after years of bikinis no way would she suddenly wear a 1 piece. I was trying to avoid future problems but in the meantime she is grumpity and it makes me sad she cannot comprehend the reasons. She did stop BRIEFLY at the waterpark of america when a girl around 13ish lost her top on the surfing simulator and was publicly mortified. even lifeguards had a laugh, it was awful to watch.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Do you have a son and, if so, does he wear a shirt at the beach so his torso is not exposed?

Modesty is a fine concept but I'm not sure why it typically only applies to girls.

To answer your question, my girls wore bikinis when they were little but did not as they grew into their teen years. They preferred a more tailored one piece
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I let mine because they look cute and adorable, I have always liked them...heck I am 64 and still wear them, I work my body out every single day of my life to make me look good in those......

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• my son is 8 1/2 and he has generally wears a rashguard set. He got a few really cool skateboard themed ones. He likes to lather his sunscreen on under the top and then put it on, weirdo :) his is personal preference, not modesty though. daughter = our reasoning is partial modesty and partial worrying its a gateway to smaller bikinis, shorter dresses, etc etc. we also don't allow certain type of tank tops but she respects that. the swim thing is getting resistance galore.... in a good way. we want to to know why rules are rules. I am curious about others reasons for their choices.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I don't know but to me a bikini is really no different than any other clothing. My oldest wore a bikini for years then went to the boy shorts style. My middle DD is 13 and wears both a one piece and a bikini with the boy shorts. I myself wear a bikini, I have about 5 different ones.. I personally don't see an issue and allow my children to wear what they are comfortable in..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2013