Question adult content

How early can one lose their mucous plug?

aztecqueen22

Asked by aztecqueen22 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Some women lose it around 35 weeks, some women don't lose it until much closer to delivery.

If you're less than 30 weeks pregnant and lose a good chunk of it you'd need to talk to your doctor.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• It regrows and regrows and regrows.... so you can lose it many times... but as Prissy said, if you are less than 30-32 weeks, I would talk to the doctor about that.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• You can lose pieces of it about 6 weeks ahead. When the entire thing is gone, usually birth is not that many days in coming
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I think I lost pieces of it or all of it exactly 33 weeks pregnant.. I am now 36 weeks 5 days.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• ^^Yeah, it can regenerate. Losing your plug doesn't automatically equate to immediate labor. It's just a sign that your body is preparing for birth
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• You have probably started to dilate a bit too.... but that isn't a bad thing at this point.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My prenatal is 2moro.. I'm starting to go every week now. Do u know if the doc will check for dilation? I read somewhere that they will.. but it varies with docs right? I mean I still have til sept 19 so it doesn't really matter if she checks or not. I'm just curious. This is my 2nd pregnancy so I'm trying to be more knowledgeable. I had no idea what to expect with my first. I just knew the baby moved and how painful labor would be.. but I never really experienced labor. This one tho I am feeling braxton hicks. And noticed the mucuous plug. And learning a lot more.
    aztecqueen22

Comment by aztecqueen22 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Your doctor may do a finger exam to check for dilation and softening, but he or she may not. It's not considered necessary by all doctors, especially this early in the game.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I doubt your doctor will check. I would expect it at 38 weeks. That said, they're all different. Your doctor may think it's okay
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Mine started checking with my last son (5 months) at 36 weeks... some will and some won't but if you ASK, I'm sure they will check. The only crappy thing about checking now is you could sit at a 3 until 41 weeks, so its not entirely indicative of anything.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2013