Sikh hairstyles?

I'm noticing more and more Sikhs in my community. I have a question about their hair styles and the things they have on their heads that aren't the full turban. I haven't been brave enough to go up and ask. I've talked to a couple at an indoor playground at a mall, and they seemed to welcome my questions, but I just can't get myself to go up and ask a stranger on the street.

I've seen kids (1-18), mostly male, with a braid up the back of the head and a little white ball on top, what is that and what's the significance?

What do the other, non turban, head coverings signify?

I've tried googling this online, but I'm not finding an answer.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• gdiamante

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Good question as I had no idea. Thanks also to gdiamante.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Thanks Prissy, that's what I was looking for.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Sikhism is a religion and according to their religion the males are not allow to cut their hairs. It is very odd thing in society to move with long hairs so they hide them in turban.

kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 2:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• " It is very odd thing in society to move with long hairs so they hide them in turban."

I'm not sure I agree with this. Navajo men typically do not cut their hair (along with many other NA tribes) so it's not that odd
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I don't find it odd at all that some peoples/religions don't cut hair.

I"m mostly curious about the "stuff" worn on the head that is not a full turban. I find religions and cultures immensely fascinating, I usually don't have the courage to ask my questions though. I'm too afraid of coming across as an ass, when all I really am is curious.

I should get over that, I really should. Doubt I will though.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• "I'm too afraid of coming across as an ass, when all I really am is curious."

im the same way! some of the hijabs i see are so gorgeous and there are some Mennonite women who wear beautiful dresses, but id hate to complement them and it be seen as offensive or something...like they were showing off or something. oh well...at least my ignorance isnt the harmful and negative type haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• at least my ignorance isnt the harmful and negative type

Same here. I sit back and wonder every time I see them. So, instead of just asking, which I've been told they don't mind honest, curiosity, I ask here instead. Y'all know me a little bit better, and I have a backspace button and am able to edit what I say before I say it.

How sad is that. Guess now I need to work myself up to actually asking a Sikh about their head coverings. Problem is, I usually see them at Walmart and they seem grumpy/in a hurry. Hey look, another excuse to be a chicken.

bock bock
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I've never seen any Sikhs without the head covering. I used to live in the Art Institute neighborhood in Kansas City where there were quite a few Sikhs.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2013