Bleh, how do you cope with the profound differences between your child's previous and current school teachers?

i never thought my child had a lot of kindergarten homework, or that it was too challenging or time consuming. i remember they were required to read for 15 minutes a night (except fridays, no homework on fridays) do a math sheet (usually front and back, sometimes 2 of them) and writing sight words on tuesdays and thursdays. without the reading bit she'd get her homework done in 20-30 minutes.

well she started 1st grade today and apparently kindergarten homework was a boatload compared to what she's getting this year. first, the homework is all due on friday, instead of nightly like in K. they are not REQUIRED to read, as in, there is no reading log that you have to fill out (of course parents could lie, but i never did when it came to that) its just 'highly recommended' that they read everyday. then there is only 1 subject addressed per night. monday-writing, tuesday-math, etc.

atleast the behavior policy is still in place, they use a clip and color system.

im just not happy with the lack of homework, but, maybe the material itself will atleast be challenging for her. she needs to be challenged because her birthday falls a month after the deadline so she'll always be among the older students, turning 7 in october. she was already getting bored in K with the amount of work she was required to do then.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• Different does not equal wrong. Every teacher has their own teaching style & methods for covering the required materials. Frankly, I'm shocked that you are disappointed in not getting enough homework. Most would be relieved that they're not so bogged down. Give it another year or so, she'll have plenty. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• When I felt they were not giving enough to do, I would go online and find grade/age appropriate worksheets that were fun and educational and have him (my oldest) do them along with his nightly homework.

When he had a bad behavior day, he would do an extra math worksheet that I had printed off etc.

I just always had the extra stuff there when I felt it was needed. Also talking to the teacher and seeing if she allows "extra credit" for projects that are not on her agenda is also possible. Some teachers will give them credit for things the parents have done at home.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• im disappointed because homework is vital in helping reiterate what they're learning in class, i dont see how 1 sheet a night is going to do that. i didn't say she was wrong anywhere.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• thats a good idea grace, ill have to wait and see how challenging the material being sent home is. if not, ill definitely try and find more for her to do online.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Sometimes you will have a teacher with almost no homework but works their butts off in class, or tons of homework because the teacher is on facebook all day instead of teaching class lol. It just depends, but I always like to have other things around just in case...

One other cool thing I really enjoyed and teached the kids (and they don't even know it!) is get yourself a list of the 50 states. Do a state a week... give them the general specifics of the state while cooking dinner and maybe even do a little poster board on the fridge with the capitol, state bird, state tree, flag, motto etc. and then theme your meals with meals from that region while they help cook whatever it is. 50 states takes alot of time but you will have something for every week you know and they learn what most other kids these days don't.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• not teached lmao... TAUGHT
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• i LOVE that idea :)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• And its really fun, you will learn things you didn't know too :0)
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• The policy in our school is 30 minutes of reading no matter if you are K-8, this year so far I have been overwhelmed with the 6th grade homework, and underwhelmed with the 3rd grade.
    DD is now changing classes, so I think the math, english, whatever teachers need to get on the same page, she broke down in tears tonight because she has so much, and she has piano lessons.
    I think yesterday she did about 2 hours worth, a bit too much IMO.
    DS, has one sheet every day of stupid stuff he learned last year, I imagine his teacher is still trying to determine how much they retained.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Amazinggrace, I love the idea of the states! I'm definitely going to tuck that away in my bag of tricks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2013