• In the Spotlight:

How far can DCF go?

friday i had my baby i tested positive for amphetemines because of zantac pills i was taking for heart burn. my baby tested absolutely negative for any drugs because I DID NOT DO ANY DRUGS DURING MY PREGNANCY. my baby has to stay in the hospital for 7 days for ammonia so before i left a DCF worker came to see me and asked questions and said there may be a further investigation. he later found out that my baby showed negative for drugs does this mean no investigation or should i be expecting a visit from them. it is now tues and i havent heard anything is it over or will they try to stop me from taking my baby home

lisajones1978

Asked by lisajones1978 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might or it might not. just do what they say and you'll be fine. people who argue and are resistant raise more flags.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• YOU have to have a negative test, I believe. When were you tested last? Do you have documentation from your doctor that supports your assertion that it was the Zantac?

I think your biggest issue is that, if I remember right, you had a child removed because you were a drug user at the time. They're going to pay close attention to that.

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I am sorry, didn't you ask this question yesterday?
    If the have cause they can remove the child from your care. That is how far they can go.
    I would suggestyou get your documentation together and cooperate with DFS.
    If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• pneumonia

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• pneumonia
    Answer by butterflyblue19 a minute ago

Never know... he may have been cleaning the bathroom.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I very distinctly remember this question. I've been wondering how a newborn could get ammonia. Pneumonia seems more plausible, but STILL...in a newborn?

I still think there's a LOT more to this story than what has been (re)posted.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• They can analyze it in the lab to see if it was Zantac or something else, I would assume you would be asking them to do so? You admit you had a child taken away before due to drug use, if this is not the case, ask them to analyze it. do you have a stable loving home to bring the child back to?
    You had bette consult a lawyer, but they can determine if it was Zantac or not, this is routine procedure during an investigation, why did they test you in the first place?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• oops- did not know this was posted already and that there was more to the story.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• We can't give you advice on your particular situation. Cooperate with the authorities and ask questions of the people who can answer them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2013