My Mom is better than me (cooking help?)

today is day 25 she's been in the hospital, a little over an hour away so we aren't able to visit very much. To try and feel close to her I wanted to surprise my kids with a treat she'd make w/ day old mashed potatoes... fried up crunchy yum yum yum. Mine were GROSS GROSS GAG and now that I am done sobbing I thought I'd ask what I did wrong? I don't want to bug her with this it hurts her hands to hold the phone for more than a few minutes at a time. I beat up an egg into it... was I supposed to use flour? (I did not)

If you make mashed potato patties how do you do it?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Food & Drink

• You need to make sure they are fairly 'dry", and then dip in egg, and planko bread crumbs, or day old bread crumbs, fry in canola or vegetable oil.
    If they were wet, most likely they "fell" apart.
    I nuke my day old mashed potatos to get the moisture out, then let them get to room temp, if they were cold the butter in them could have dirupted the frying process.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• was your oil hot enough? If not then all the oil will soak into your potatoes ruining the whole batch! I probably would not have added the egg at all. For a potato patty, roll it in bread crumbs and fry. I have always liked baking them though
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• An egg and flour both, and plenty of oil.

I LOVE these things.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I can't make them either :(
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I'm sorry about your mom. I never had success at making potato patties, mine were gaggable too, but I hope your mom feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I've only used bread crumbs, not flour, but there's usually some kind of coating on the outside

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I beat egg into mine with a little bit of onion powder, salt and pepper and a couple of tablespoons of flour and about 1/2 a tsp of baking powder. I mix them all together. Then I make them into little patties and fry them in very hot oil. You do need to make sure the oil is hot. I either put a wooden spoon into the oil and if the oil bubbles around the spoon it is hot or I will just flick a little bit of water into it to see if it splatters a bit (kinda dangerous but as my kids steal my wooden spoons sometimes it is what I have) Than I fry them for about 3-4 minutes per side.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2013