I thought I first read this here?

Someone posted a question once about call centers and trying to speak to an American English speaking person.

My situation: My mortgage is automatically withdrawn from my checking account bi-weekly (2 equal payments that make up my monthly payment).

3 weeks ago, my payment did not come out. Husband called ( I was in Vegas at the time) and was told there was a glitch in their system (their fault), and that it would be taken out on the next scheduled date. The regular bi-weekly payment came out the following week, but not an extra one to make up for the missed one like they promised.

Now I'm getting late notices. I called to try to see when the payment would be taken, OR to arrange a payment if need be, and got nowhere with the rep. He would only charge me the full amount of my monthly bill, not just the missing bi-weekly payment. He simply could not understand what I was trying to ask.

TODAY I get a letter in the mail, thanking me for enrolling in the auto-pay program (which I had done over a year ago), and explaining how the $295 FEE WOULD BE TAKEN FROM MY ACCOUNT!!!!

I tried to call again, and once again, no one can understand that I was already IN the program, and should not be charged any additional fees. I never un-enrolled. This was an error on their end and I am being penalized for it.

I think I read here that if you request to speak to someone in the US that a call center MUST transfer you. Before I call back and sound like a lunatic racist, I want to know if there's any truth to this.

My question is: Is this true!?!?

I will close my checking account before I deal with this nonsense a second time.

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 4:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Money & Work

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• an F rating with the BBB

^^^File a complaint thru the BBB then. They can help too. Maybe you can jump in on that class action suit too. Bunch of thieving scums!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Your best bet is to google a non toll free number for the company
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I don't have any helpful advice--I'm in the middle of a pain-in-the-ass refi myself--but here's a bump and some good wishes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• IMO there is nothing wrong with saying you can't understand them. Can you ask them to escalate the call to a supervisor. Perhaps they will be more fluent in English.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Anne, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Answer by gdiamante at 4:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Businesses hate bad publicity. Maybe if you contact your local news team's Call for Action center, they can help you get this fixed once & for all. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• If that doesn't work, can you find a local office in your area? This may take a personal visit.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I have had similar difficulties. I hope you get it resolved.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Office of the president or some such
    Call them directly
    Have everything ready to email or fax as directed

Workswonders

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2013