How can I get my 3.5 year old to sleep past 6 am?

I have a 3.5 year old boy who has been waking up at 6 am if not earlier and thinks he is up for the day. We got him to get rid of his NUK about 6 months ago and every since then he has been waking up early. He still has a blanket he sleeps with so he has something to sooth him. When he gets up around 6 he won't go back to his room; he wants to get in bed with us and watch TV. I must admitt that I have been letting him so I can get a few more minutes if sleep. I have a feeling this is the main reason why he gets up so early but I can't get him to understand that he would still be able to cuddle with us if he slept in later. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep him in bed til at least the sun comes up?

mmaa3131

Asked by mmaa3131 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What time do you put him to bed? It might be to early. My daughter, 2 yrs old, will go to sleep around 7 and wake up at 7 but only if she doesn't nap. If she gets a nap, generally 2 hours, she goes to bed at 9 gets up at 7. We recently installed light blocking curtains and she now sleeps until 8am.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I guess it's time to get up with him! My kids did this too, I just made a pot of coffee and stuck it out :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Put a light in his room on a timer. It goes off at bedtime and comes on at "wake-up" time. To start with, you'll need to have the morning time at the time he is getting up now or no more than 10 minutes after that. Once he's used to waiting until the light comes on, move it a few minutes. Keep going until you find the latest time he will wait or until it's at the time you want.

I use a fishtank light for my daughter. She knows she has to wait until her fish wake-up to call for me. She's still in her crib so she can't come to me - but she sure can let me know when she's ready to get up!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• LOL sorry.... i have a 4.5 year old that gets up anywhere between 5:45 and 6:30. Been like this since she was 3. At that time, we'd get up with her. But I wrote a big 7:00 on a paper and stuck it next to her bed (didn't go very well). We just kept sending her back to bed.

I honestly have not set my alarm in 4.5 years. But she does sleep well... from 8-6. so try going to bed earlier, with the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• yikes! my daughters never gotten up that early..EVER! lol..what time does he go to bed at?? does he still have naps? is he waking up cuz hes hungry? or cuz he has to pee?? so many factors to look into..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my 3 year old and 5 year old usually do not sleep past 6 either I just have them go play in their room until their daddy gets home. My husband gets home just before 7:30
    MOTIVESMOMMY

Answer by MOTIVESMOMMY at 12:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009