Is it normal to be having menstrual like cramps when you are 37 weeks & 4 days almost 38 weeks?

I am 37 weeks & 4 days pregnant. I'm 3 1/2 cm dilated & 60% effaced. Today I lost my mucus plug and now I'm having really bad cramps? Could I be in early labor or is this normal?

Abby_1995

Asked by Abby_1995 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Early labor can feel like menstrual cramps. Is there tightening of your belly?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Are you aware of what a contraction is? Basically a cramp. Get your bag and have someone drive you to labor and delivery. Come back with baby pictures.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Labor or early labor.

Answer by louise2 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Could be labor. Keep track of the cramping.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Yes I'm aware of what a contraction is my stomach is tight and I feeling lower cramps towards my vagina. It gets really strong for a couple minutes or so then it eases a little but always comes back.
    Abby_1995

Comment by Abby_1995 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Are they regular? Meaning, do they come every five minutes (or however many minutes apart they are)?

I'd give L&D a call and let them know you're timing them and you'll be in when they want you to come in.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Good luck for a safe and easy delivery.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Call your dr or L&D and tell them what's going on. They will advise you from there.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• with DS i had cramps off and on for about 2 weeks before he came, it felt like weak contractions. its just your body getting ready to deliver, if not actual labor. if they are consistent and with a few minutes of each other, get to the hospital!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• LOL it sounds like you are either having Braxton Hicks (sort of labor prep) or you are in labor. You may want to time how long the cramps and how long a break you have in between them.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2013