Common core curriculum

Are you for or against this? Most parent & teachers in my state are against.

Are they teaching to the test? What does dumbing down really mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I like the idea of CC. And I agree with okm that it's no more teaching to the test than we've had in the past.

But I will admit that I'm old enough to be nostalgic about fine arts and non-informational reading (think lots of literature) so I continue to feel we've done our kids a disservice by gutting these programs as much as we have
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• "Can a parent opt out of having their child take the test? "

not in my state since test scores are tied to $$. unless a kid would be a negative outlier...then they may let a parent opt their kid out.

one of the biggest and (imo) best things happening in education right now is test backlash. students hate them (cause its meaningless for them), teachers hate them(cause they're judge by scores on tests kids dont care about), and parents hate them (we all know the reasons). my professors are saying the "teaching to the test" way of doing things will be gone in 10 years tops b/c current research shows its crap and hurting the next generation. so give the stupid ass politicians about 10 years to catch up with the research and we'll be back on track. it just sucks for the kids of this generation who's govt royally screwed them out of the best education they could have had.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• so give the stupid ass politicians about 10 years to catch up with the research and we'll be back on track. it just sucks for the kids of this generation who's govt royally screwed them out of the best education they could have had.

That's exactly the problem, though. There's a whole group that's being cheated out of a good education while we wait for things to get back on track, and it sucks that that group is getting caught in the middle of a bunch of tug of war crap like this.

Honestly, this is why I started homeschooling. I didn't want my kids caught up in all that. Here at home, I'm able to make sure they're actually getting an education, rather than being taught to a test or missing out on things like art and music - stuff that keeps getting cut more and more in my area.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I like it. The common core is very similar to what the previous standards were for my state. I think the best benefit of this is the fact that if kids move to another state, then most likely they will not be behind at their new school. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I have no problem with it. As JeremysMom said, they are pretty much what our state already had. And as she said, kids in all states will be learning the same thing.

I'm not sure why they don't like it unless their state didn't' have Standards they had to teach.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 9:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• In some ways CC sucks donkey balls, but I don't think it is any worse than any of the other crap the government has done to our children's education. Yes, teacher's teach to the test, they teach pretty much only the information kids will need to pass the standardized tests. They don't add in a lot of relevant details, because they don't have the time. CC didn't do this though, this has been going on for a while now. Dumbing down is the fact that kids are being taught what to think, not how to think. Again, this has been going on for a long time so CC is no different in that respect either. I think that most of the people who have issues with it are ones who have issues with the school system in general.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Can a parent opt out of having their child take the test?

Not that I am aware of.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• depends on how the state is implementing it. im working on my masters in education & my professors all love it. i've had to do research on the CC curriculum for social studies (my teaching area) and ive compared it to the previous standards...CC blows them out of the water. im all for C3 (what its called here in OK).

most of the hate ive heard is propaganda BS or fear mongering from ppl who dislike anything and everything that wasnt their idea. its not teaching to the test...at least no more than it was last year.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Does a bad test score effect the child?

It depends on the state. For my state (Georgia), the "important" test years are 3rd, 5th, and 8th. In 3rd grade the students must pass the reading part of the CRCT (state standardized test). In 5th grade, the must pass the reading and math section, and in 8th grade they must pass the reading, math, and science section. If a student fails, then they can retake the test and even go to summer school to help them pass the test. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2013