When do you have y our kids do this???

Homework... I have m kids do their homework when they get home school fallowed by an after school snack . I figure get it done now they have the rest of the day to play watch tv ext

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• not us. they need to play, it's more important. not tv or video games but PLAY. they sit in a chair for 6-7 hours and have to be quiet in the halls and even at lunch. 15 minutes recess is pretty common. I am not going to make them sit and be still again right away. generally they play, eat, play, clean up, HOMEWORK, dinner, HOMEWORK, tv. but everything varies esp on nights my daughter has dance class and the amount if any either of my 2 kids have to do
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I have to split it up for my son. When he gets home, he has his snack and does one page of his homework packet. He can then play in his room after that. When I get home, I review that page and he does corrections if necessary. He then reviews his spelling words for the week. After that he plays outside, eats dinner, takes a bath, and then reads for 20 minutes. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• When ds gets home we sit and talk about his day and he has a snack and a little tv time before I make him do whatever homework he has, just because he just spent all day at school and I want to give him a break before making him sit it down again. Granted, he's in kindergarten, so there's not really much to do yet. Honestly what I had him doing at home before he went was more than he comes home with. But I like getting to have a little us time before making him get back to the grind. He sits and does it while I fix his dinner :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• He gets a half hour off when we get home then gets on it. But that was Kindergarten where it was write your words, and then read. So he wrote his words, then I read at bed time and near the end of the year he read to me
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I have them do it as soon as they get home. They sit at the table and get started while I make their snack. Then they snack and finish their homework. The quicker they get done, the sooner they get to play.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My kids are older, so it really depends on what they have going on after school. But generally there is some sort of wind down time with food so they can recharge. It's difficult to concentrate on homework if they are hungry and tired.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I always let mine have an hour or two when they got home to play- then homework
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• we have half day KG so they will come in and have lunch, go out and swim before the pool is closed then they can come in and do some homework. Then dinner and family time before bed
    GrandmaO2008

Answer by GrandmaO2008 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• When he gets home then he has his free time or if he has Kung Fu he can do his homework while I am making dinner.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• Since her dad can see and will probably be doing a lot of the actual worksheets with our daughter, and since I don't want her to be stuck sitting still after she's done so all day in kindergarten, she'll probably have a snack and playtime first and do her homework after dinner. I'm thinking if there's daily reading, she and I will do it before her dad gets home, though. It really depends on how much the work turns out to be. I've found some print/braille flash cards for numbers, letters, and common sight words, so I may order those to use for supplementation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2013