Thinking about getting a tattoo in memory of my mom

my mom died July 8th at 9:05 pm at 48 years old and I am only 24, its been hard and I am not sure how to grieve I just push past the pain I feel and know that she is not suffering anymore and i feel better about it, at the end she was having trouble going to the bathroom and she died of not being able to breath from a bad case of pneumonia, she had muscular dystrophy. I want to get dolphins in memory of her maybe two together intertwined but she was against tattoos and I know she wouldn't agree with it so I am not sure about it.
its just so hard to think about my children not knowing her and how she was not able to be there for me like a mother should its just not fair, that was the hardest part was being depressed because she couldn't be the mom she wanted to be for me and be involved in my life or her grandchildren's life, I never even met my father and found out he recently died, so my children have no grandparents on my side. and one crappy one on their fathers side.

n8nnickmom

Asked by n8nnickmom at 10:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• Is there something that was special to your mom? Maybe plant a tree in her memory so that you and in the future, your children can visit. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I like JeremysMom's idea. But also, the memory is for you about your mom, not for your mom herself. So if you want to get a tattoo and it will be special for you, do it. It's hard when you don't have a mom to share your own motherhood with.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• My mom loved the ocean and dolphins so I got a dolphin jumping out of the water on my right left in memory of her.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• hugsMaybe you should work thru your feelings w/ some grief counseling before you do something permanent like a tattoo.  There are many ways to honor your mom & keep her memory alive for your children.  Best of luck to you while you work thru this very difficult time.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• My mom has Multiple Sclerosis. So, Im planning on getting a tattoo of the MS ribbon as the body of a butterfly.

Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I think a tattoo is a very personal decision that must be only decided by you, my advice will be though that even if you feel that might help with the pain, make sure you want that forever. really study what you want and placement. The place I went was really great, I was able to walk in and do it that day. However, it can be overwhelming when you get in there if you don't have your heart set on what you want to do. Now, if you are going with something in memory of her be aware that you will see it everyday and do you want to be reminding of her passing like that? I can see your point of having something beautiful just make sure it's something you really want. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I got this done last week in memory of my grandmother. It is her handwriting taken from something she had written down at my wedding reception. No matter what you choose to have tattooed, make sure it is something that can easily be hidden for work/professional interactions. 

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2013