Extracurricular classes for elementary. Can you recommend?

We have been trying to find Spanish for elementary aged kids for DS and DD, since they don't offer that at our school. Can you recommend any programs or online classes for foreign languages for kids?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• PetraLingua is the best one I have found, but it is a little pricy. I haven't really liked any of the free ones I have found.  You might though, there is 123TeachMe and duolingo.  There are probably others as well, but those are the two best free ones that I have seen.

kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• What about that Rosetta Stone? I don't know if there's a version for kids, but my twenty-something cousin used it to study French when he went to Birkina Faso with the Peace Corps.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• We have a place called Spanish Fun of Ohio, we were directed to them by our preschool. Maybe your school would know of someone who teaches Spanish after school?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• There are school-aged Rosetta programs, they use them at DS's school. Try the library, some have them available.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I have been seeing the K-12.com om tv
    I do mm not really know much about it. It is an online course. and it is supposed to be free. Is it? I don't know
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2013

• I will check those out Kathy. Thanks for the suggestions. I am not really worried about free, but am interested in finding something that works.

I did see that K12 offers a few language courses for elementary aged kids. I googled it and it seems that they took over a different curriculum from another program that didn't really have a lot of foreign instruction. Of course, the reviews were from a few years ago so things may have changed.

I have looked into Rosetta Stone, but wasn't sure if that was too advanced for elementary aged kids. I know those programs are really expensive, but DH and I could both use it as well.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Sorry, that last commend from me should have said kmath, but spellchecker wants to call you Kathy.

There are some Spanish classes advertised in my area, however they do not have any classes to enroll in right now. I think it's a private business that maybe works on their own schedule.

I will check the library for Rosetta Stone. I think I have seen some of their materials there now that you mention it. Thanks.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2013