What do you think my chances of having twins are?

Im 22, ive been pregnant twice but have only had one son because my first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage. Twins run in my fathers side of the family. My dad was a twin (fraternal i think) and i have twin cousins from my aunt, my fathers sister. What do you think my chances are of having twins someday, & if i plan on getting pregnant again before im 30?

._Andrea_.

Asked by ._Andrea_. at 2:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• I'm not going to look this up to confirm my memory (you could, though!) but I think that the tendency to conceive fraternal twins is passed along by the mother. My sense is that is why fraternal twins often appear to skip generations: if a father was a fraternal twin, he CAN pass along the gene to his children but it won't increase the likelihood that one of HIS daughters will conceive twins. However, HER daughters (his granddaughters) could be more likely to conceive twins. Because their mother could have inherited the gene, to pass along to them, from her father.
    THEY would get it from their mother. But their mother wouldn't be more likely to have twins, herself.
    I think being older when conceiving increases your odds for conceiving fraternal twins. (The tendency to release two eggs when ovulating increases with age.) Of course, you need to conceive in the "right" (two egg) cycle, regardless, in order to get twins.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Your ability to have fraternal twins depends on whether you produce more than one egg in a cycle. This is something that you inherit from your mother, not your father. Whether or not you will have identical twins is anybody's guess because it's a totally random occurrence :). Identical twins still make up about half the twin population.

Other factors that affect whether or not you'll have twins are:

- advanced maternal age,
    - being taller than most,
    - being overweight,
    - being Nigerian (go figure ...)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:02 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• OK, I did look it up. Stating that you inherit the tendency to hyper-ovulate "from your mother" is misleading, because fathers CAN pass along the gene to their children, both their male & female children. If your father IS indeed a fraternal twin, then he may or may not have inherited the gene that causes hyper-ovulation from his mother (who had fraternal twins.) While this would not have increased HIS likelihood of having twins with your mother (since HE doesn't ovulate), if he passed along the gene to YOU, then you COULD be more likely to conceive fraternal twins.
    Whether your dad & his twin are fraternal twins makes a difference (because the only known genetic link to twinning is with fraternal twins.)
    I have twin sons but they are identical. There is a history of fraternal twinning in my family as well (also in DH's) so I might have passed along the tendency to hyperovulate to my daughter & my sons also may carry the gene.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• To answer your question, I'd say your chances of conceiving twins are better than average!

And I now realize that my chances of having twin grandchildren also are higher than I'd thought. (My husband's sister has fraternal twins, which means he may have inherited the gene as well & while HIS inheriting it wouldn't increase his chances of conceiving fraternal twins with me, he COULD pass along the gene to our kids. As could I. My paternal grandfather was a fraternal twin, and one of my mom's cousins had fraternal twins, though the gene may have come into that family from the other line, rather than the shared line.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Same as every one else's.
    I have heard that your chances increase the older you get but I am not too sure on the truth of that.
    I am a go with the flow kind of girl and was simply happy with what I ended up with.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Slightly better than anyone else's.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2013