Is feeding this amount extreme?

I have a five week baby girl, she weighs 8lbs. She is eating three to five ounces at a time every two to three hours.

She is always hungry... is this way too much?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 9:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if shes eating it then no i don't think so. my son was somewhere around that I think too
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• nope my son was the same way shes just a hungry baby..of course if you tell the dr that they will think its extreme,but its not.shes hungry feed her.just burb her she should be fine...my son is almost a yr old and hes fine....he was chunky but hes fine now..
    Anonymous

• My son was the same way...he always ate alot.
    maryw24

Answer by maryw24 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• That sounds normal to me. Go by your baby's cues, not numbers tho. If baby wants to eat that much and happily finishes it off, go for it! If she is showing signs of fullness or turning away, it may be a bit much.

Sounds like it's just right tho :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son is the same age and he is eating 5-6oz every 2-3 hours. He weighs 14lbs.

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No it's not too much, especially if she's eating it :)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• They know how much they need to grow and thrive. Take your cues from her and it'll be fine. :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you think there is a real problem, talk to your pediatrician. In general, if she is not throwing it up (different than spit up) and you are not trying to feed her more after she begins to turn away.... she is needing everything she is eating. If she is growing in height and weight in a regular pattern there is probably nothing to worry about. If you have a family history of rare diseases that cause eating problems then I would check it out. Sounds pretty normal though.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 11:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• on the chart i have for a 5 week old baby... 18-32 ounces of milk is about the average... some babies eat more some less.. feed on demand...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• There's only an issue if they spit up a lot. If they don't spit it up... then they're eating and needing what they're taking in. I have a VERY large 4 months old (20lbs!) and the doctor said he's not over weight.... just a big guy and it would come off when he starts getting more mobile. He's been able to kill a 9 ounce bottle since he was about 2 months old! He's just a big eater and it will all even out.

Sounds like you may have an early cereal starter on your hands. :)
    GavynsMa

Answer by GavynsMa at 1:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009