Why doesn't Answers

Show up in the "Search CafeMom" search?

Oh.
And I have a lot of questions this morning. So. sorry if it looks like I am spamming the board.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 9:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2013 in About CafeMom

• NP- is that the Boolean search you referred to the other day?

Only part of it, you run it through excel with different parameters and you can have it sort and highlight the data you're looking for

GD - the answers search itself has always been crap, but what broke this week is the overall site search on the upper right corner. It used to give a list of group posts, answers posts, journal posts, and member's profiles that matched the search term. Now it only gives group posts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• It used to show up - you could get the group responses, and the Answers, and like a mom result list.

It's scary, because especially after the chaos lately it just feels like we need to be afraid that we're on the chopping block or something.

Part of me is afraid that all of this chaos is INTENDED to stand as reason why the Answers section "needs" to go...

To use what feels like an indelicate term (although, with no intention of being rude or discriminatory), it's as though Answers is the red headed stepchild of CM. God, though, it feels wrong wording it like that, especially since I HAVE a red headed (biological) brother (who IS a stepchild, since we were both adopted by our stepdad), and a red headed (biological) father, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• "Though I don't think there's any effort to shut Answers down; they wouldn't be directing new folks here if there was, you know?"

Part of me thinks they do this just to feed the drama/chaos and to have a reason to shut it down.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• But I think her point is that you used to be able to "search" all of CM for a word or topic, etc, and Answers would be included in the results. Now you have to search Answers specifically, and it doesn't even look like all the results show up that should.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I reported it earlier as a broken site issue. I just got back a response that basically talks around it to tell me how to look other mom's up directly using the mom search (in other words, leaving out Answers and Journals now is intentional)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• No, I mean no one at CafeMom is going to be cherrypicking what shows up and what doesn't

They restricted it, though. Search now only searches groups. Before last week it was site-wide.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I noticed that a few days ago trying to find a question from last week. You can still use the Answers search under New and Interesting to look for keywords, but if you're looking for the question that a specific person asked about a subject and can't remember how it was phrased, you have to use Google now. You don't even see the Member result (ie search a member name and get a list of members who have that in their name). It's all groups now.

FYI, for those who need to use Google, use this format:
    "phrase you're looking for in quotes" (or) +word +word (with plus before each one, followed by this exactly:) site:www.cafemom.com/answers

If you want something from anywhere on the site, leave off the /answers.

So if I'm looking for feral's recipe for sausage gravy (I have no idea if feral actually has a recipe for sausage gravy) it would look like this:
    +feralxat +"sausage gravy" site:www.cafemom.com/answers
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Because, I have time AND interest.

But Answers search has a flaw no matter how you use it - it will only show 500 results. For those of us who have been here and active longer than 6 months, that means 3+ years of search results are left out if you search by name. If it's a common term like "diaper rash" or "pre-school" you'll get a random mix of 500 questions from every category across the past 5 years. The same is true with categories. Go to any category in Answers and hit the double arrow to go to the last page -it's always question number 500, and anything older than that question (even if it's only 6 weeks old) is not there. The only way to access anything older is through boolean search, and neither Answers nor straight CM search accept boolean formatting. I've long given up using them and stick to Google instead.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• i asked someone this the other day
    thought i was just me when i was on vacation in BanCock

she told me it now under New and Interesting
    that seems kind of hidden now

maybe the answer is real estate...seems to be a popular excuse
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Maybe soon we are all getting a free trip to Bangkok Bancock

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2013