How can I get my toddler to stop taking a bottle?

My daughter will be 2 in October and she still wants a bottle for nap and bedtime. I do not let her have her bottle at all except for nap and bed and she does not get anything else other than milk in it. She does not take a pacifier and I really don't know where to start. I also watch my nephew 3 days a week and he takes a bottle so I am not sure how difficult it will be when she sees his.

mommahood424

Asked by mommahood424 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start putting water in the bottle instead of milk for starts. Milk has sugar in it, going right on her teeth before she lays down. At least water is better for her teeth.
    Odds are she will loose interest in it, since its not what she expects the bottle to have.
    nekkiddoglady

Answer by nekkiddoglady at 3:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Just stop giving it to her. If she needs/wants a drink, give it to her in a sippy cup. Get rid of all the bottles - or at least put them in storage, if you plan on having another child. Have your sister bring your nephew's bottles and take them home with her each day.

It'll probably be rough for a few days, but eventually she'll realize the bottle is no longer an option (as long as you don't give in) and she'll accept the sippy cup and forget the bottle.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Stop giving it to her. Try a sippy with a rubber spout.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Throw it away & give her a cup.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• put a whole in it, and tell her she's too big for a bottle give her a special blanket or stuffy and be prepared to let her cry it out
    juls1111

Answer by juls1111 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• milk in a sippy cup
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I would try to explain to her that shes a big girl now and that its not good for her teeth anymore. Maybe reward her with something for not using the bottle. It might be rough for a week or so but she will get used to it. GL!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Who's the adult?
    Stop giving it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2013