Are your political beliefs defined by what you're for or what you're against?

Was reading this, about opposition to a CA law allowing transgender students to use whichever restroom is appropriate to them, and in the comments someone mentioned that the problem with the religious right is that it's defined by what they're against rather than what they're for.

The comment is correct, but it's not exclusive to the religious right.

The "Christian Conservative view":

no abortion

no birth control

no gay marriage

no GLBT rights

no government assistance

no government healthcare

The liberal (godless liberal if you prefer, in the name of balance):

No guns

No religious exemptions

No industrial expansion

No parental rights

No free speech unless it meets a certain standard

Obviously, both sides will agree with the other side's list and quibble over the accuracy of their own.  Here's the question - can you describe your political leanings without using "not", "against", "no", "restrict" or "prevent" in the descriptions?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe in equal rights for all, doing what's best for the majority rather than a select few. I believe in compromise and working together. I honestly believe the answers lie somewhere between the 2 'extremes' if you will. I think that basically sums it up.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I believe in the Constitution of the United States of America
    I believe in all the rights and freedoms as stated above
    I believe that each person is responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable for them.
    I believe that the government should be small and that the government officials and employees should be subject to the same laws as everyone else.
    I believe that it is murder to terminate human life. There are exceptions.

My beliefs have never been of the no no variety, but if you go against them I will say no.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• My political leanings are what I consider fiscally conservative and social moderate. Others would probably consider me a social liberal, however I consider my stance on social issues as more of a personal responsibility.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I am FOR freedom and less government control....

I am FOR upholding the Constitution....

I am FOR raising my family as I see fit....

I could go on and on and on.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• My polical leanings reflect what I feel people should have, including but not limited to: freedom of speech, freedom of religion (including the right to NOT participate in any religion,) a women's right to choose, and freedom for any adult to marry any other consenting adult. I firmly believe that the constitution is about granting rights, not limiting the rights of any particular group or individual.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• OOPS! a not slipped in there and it was all in caps, to boot! LOL!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

S'ok, JJK found a loophole because I forgot to add "anti" to the list, too
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Oh but I am still anti-Texas and anti-Florida.

SEE! You did it again! ;)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Lol JJK! :P
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• My political beliefs are defined by the idea of freedom and liberty and upholding the Constitution, even in issues that I don't personally agree with. As long as something doesn't injure or harm someone else or infringe on someone else's rights, I usually support it.

I'm pro equality, personally pro-life but believe in education, prevention (does that count as using "prevent," haha?) and so forth as tools to reduce, rather than criminalize... I'm pro "death with dignity" and pro decriminalization of prostitution and marijuana. I believe that religious rights should be protected, but I also believe in not endorsing or promoting any particular religion by a government position or body. I believe our individual rights only extend as far as our own person, but I do believe strongly in the rights of individuals. Individuals, not corporations, though, lol. I'm also pro alternative energy and environmental consideration.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2013