My five year old is not focus, she is getting ready to start school. She has about 100 words that she needs to learn before school start.

Blessed1019

Asked by Blessed1019 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• huh?
    what do you mean she needs to learn about 100 words?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Why does she have to know them before starting school?

Here they require kids learn approximately 100 sight words by the end of kindergarten. A lot of kids can't read when they enter school.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• She's not going to learn them in the next week. She might learn a few, but not all of them. Maybe lower your expectation of her a little and remove some of the stress and she might be more receptive to instruction. Kindergarten does not have an entrance exam.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• She has to go in to Kindergarten knowing words? I wish my kid went to your school, haha. I'm having to push buttons because right now they're learning the "m" sound and their sight word for the week is "I" when he's reading on a third grade level already.

Maybe we should just switch schools. ;)

Have you worked with her at all? What kind of words does she need to know? Could you use a resource like starfall.com to help her?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Are you expecting her to learn them on her own?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2013

• So what are you doing to help her learn her words? It could probably help you as well.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Why does she have to learn these words before school? Are you expecting this?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I agree with the many comments you've received. Where is the expectation (that she needs to learn 100 words before school starts) coming from? Is this your expectation/goal or something else? Maybe you misunderstood the information. (Maybe they are words they will be learning during the year, rather than something she's expected to know at the beginning?)
    This is not something she can do on her own and it's not something you reasonably can expect to accomplish before school starts, at this point. Instead of getting rigid & intense about it, consider what QuinnMae said. Lower your expectations, realize that she's not going to learn them all, and this may help shift the dynamic that isn't working for either of you.
    Keep in mind that all will not be lost if she doesn't "know" these words (are you talking about reading? sight words?) and things will be okay. It's more important not to interfere with her receptivity to learning!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Cafe Robin wrote at 9:30 AM on Aug. 21 , 2013
    Cafe Robin

Hi! Welcome to CafeMom!
    Please join us in The CafeMom Newcomers Club. It's a great place to get started, meet other moms like you, and find active conversations!
    I hope to see you there! http://www.cafemom.com/group/cafemomnewcomers

Thanks for the points, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• They'll still let her in school if she doesn't know everything on the list of things she's supposed to have learned. She'll catch up. Sometimes the list seems excessive to me. I was really worried about it, but my daughter's kindergarten teacher--and the great moms on this site--reassured me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2013