Cavity question

Let me be perfectly clear before I ask: I am fully aware that the only way to actually fix the cavity is a visit to the dentist. I am not asking if this will fix the cavity.

I have a cavity on one of my teeth, but I am not able to get to a dentist at the moment. It's going to be a few weeks, because of a combo of money, insurance and getting into the only one I trust.

So my question is, if I were to use a fluoride mouthwash a few times a day (along with normal brushing, of course), will that keep the cavity from getting worse until I get into the dentist? Again, I know it won't fix it, but will it prevent further damage? And if not, is there anything that will?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Health

• There's nothing like that, but you can get a temporary cavity fill from the drug store - tastes like death but it seals the hole over until you can go in. That will stop anything from getting in to make it worse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Afraid not. The only thing that can be done is drill and fill.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I'm going to check on that drug store temporary cavity fill, thanks!

Like I said, I know it won't reverse or fix it. I'm just looking to see if I can prevent it from getting any worse in the meantime. I know I have to see the dentist, and I will just as soon as I have the money, and can get the appointment. I just don't want it to get worse if it's avoidable.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• My dentist actually told me that flossing and using flouride rinse would stop the production of tooth decay, however i'm not sure if it would work after a certain point. can't hurt to try. if anything you are preventing other cavities from forming.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Rinse with hydrogen peroxide every so often until you get to the dentist.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I hate it but mine encourages the hydrogen peroxide to.
    Just don't let anyone see you or the might think you have rabies (foaming at the mouth)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

LOL What an image! I will try that, though. Thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Just don't put this off too long. You don't want it breaking.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

No, I'm not. I'm looking at 2, maybe 3 weeks before I can get in. Hopefully, the dentist will have an opening sooner and I'll have the money, but if not, it should be 3 weeks tops.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• If it starts to hurt a lot, ground cloves directly on the tooth will help. Someone on this site told me that, and I was ecstatic to find that it worked till I could get to the dentist. I dampened my finger and dipped it in the cloves, then smeared the paste on my tooth. Tasted icky, but I didn't care at that point.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2013