Best time frame to buy airline tickets in?

I am sick that the best I could find was $700 round trip to Cancun, we have never paid that much to go to Mexico before!
2 questions, when I get back from my next work trip, I will have enough miles to pay for 1 trip, so should I take the risk and wait a week to book the airfare?
I want to bid on Priceline, but am nervous about doing it for an out of country trip.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Travel

• I have been looking at prices since the beginning of the year, and the prices have been varying all over the place. Back at the end of April, I looked up prices and found a $1200 drop on only one day in May, so we pulled the kids out of school and went to Hawaii. We only booked two weeks out. I wanted to get back there in August, but the prices were really high. Now I'm looking at October and April, and I'm watching the prices change daily. I am just waiting for another drop to book.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Usually the further out you book, the better off you are. Flying out on a Tuesday used to be cheaper, too. And of course traveling int he off season will get you the best rate.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• What part of the country do you live in? That plays a big part. I know to fly internationally we do better to fly from Newark than Philly. The drive time is about the same, but I guess Newark just does more int'l flights.
    Try searching at the next closest airport.
    I've also heard that Tuesday evenings are when the cheapest fares are posted, and it's always cheapest to fly on a week day rather than a weekend.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Did you plan to bundle with a hotel? Costco travel has killer vacation prices. We ended up going to Hawaii for 8 days and staying in a gorgeous two bedroom condo. Family of four, flights, rental car, and condo for $4700.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I wish! It sounds great.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• We are coming from OK, there is not really any closer airport, We are already driving to OK City, I just got a kayak alert, can purchase them for $500 and change, think I am taking it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• No we already rented our friends condo, we have stayed there before, but have an extra room, wanna come?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Sounds like fun!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2013