we are a family with 3 kids.recently my husband just came home from the hospital from a spinal chord injury which has left my husband unable to walk and is dealing with incontinence.

the other morning i was changing my husband`s diaper and 2 of our children came into the room and saw what i was doing. my daughter ask me why is daddy wearing diapers.and i just froze and didnt know what to say, i wanted to keep it hidden from them.they know he is disabled. am i right to try and keep it from them i dont know how to answer them with this issue.

ourhappyfami630

Asked by ourhappyfami630 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Special Needs

• Be truthful, as far as they are able to understand. They can probably understand that daddy's injury means he can't do a lot of things he used to do or has to re-learn to do them. That's OK.

Hiding things is never a good thing. It makes things seem shameful. There's nothing here to be ashamed of.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• You have to be honest with them. They need to know because it's part of life now.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Why do want feel the need to keep a (potentially) lifelong medical condition from the children?
    If Dad had (for example) diabetes would you somehow try to hide it?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I would just tell them it's because he got Hirt and can't do certain things any more and that's why you are there to help
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 2:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I would tell them that daddys injury made parts of his body not work right anymore so you have to help him, that the injury made his body not know when he has to go to the bathroom so he has to wear the diaper so he doesn't mess up his clothes. They need to know ias much as they can understand.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Number one is that they should not be coming into your room without at least knocking and receiving the OK. Your husband may be disabled but he has the right to privacy and respect just the same.
    Tell them the truth he had an accident. How far you go depends on the age.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I don't think you were wrong but now you really have no choice. I'm sorry for what you and your family is going through. i think its just best to be honest at this point.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Tell them the truth in simple terms. Daddy got sick, or hurt, or whatever happened, and he needs a lot of help right now. You can't keep it hidden from them forever.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• thank you all for the advice. i have sat my children down and explained everything about their daddy`s condition and why he has to wear diapers and needs help with many tasks.my kids 9.7.4. years of age were quite understanding.i just didnt know how to react towards my kids about their daddy
    ourhappyfami630

Comment by ourhappyfami630 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2013