We have had a discussion in here about food service and tips.

Some restaurants are now asking people not to tip. The video is not that informative but it is what I have lol

http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.intl=us&.cpdl=hp_upgrd&.dl=1

My question is would you rather see a no tipping policy and minimum wage to start with, or would you rather keep the system of tips.

If you are in the industry  please make sure to state that too  as I would like the veiws from  the waitstass as well as the customers.

I know a number of excellent waiters that make well above minimum wage on a regular basis due to their tips and they would not like it but would like the benefits of a full time / wage job.

I know others that tell me it is so haphazard that they are never sure what they will make and would prefer a steady income.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• I wish servers could be paid at least minimum wage, and that tipping could be done when the service is truly excellent instead of just being expected. But that would probably drive up the cost of eating out beyond what many people could afford, and in turn cost jobs. Plus, like Charlotte said, restaurants wouldn't give their servers full time hours. I don't know what the answer is, but it annoys me when I feel like I have to tip for half ass service, and when there's no real way to compliment really great service.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• oh, im not a server but i did my share of it before i had kids. shittiest job ever, i hate people.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• they should start them at minimum wage and more experienced servers should be making more per hour, just like the way you'd be promoted in most businesses. the tip crap is ridiculous and a very outdated practice imo.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• They all get minimum wage in my state and it's like 9.70 an hour. Tipping still expected. I don't see the point. I don't get tipped at home and my customers are always rude and send the food back and whine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I don't know- I mean it depends on where you work I think- I worked at 3 different places and though NONE of them were really good for tips- one was HORRID due to not having any customers TO leave a tip- good thing I didn't NEED money then, it was mostly for something to do at that point. I would imagine in a decent place, tips are fine -even with the people who don't tip coming through

also, a lot of those places would never hire "full time" they would do what Walmart does- hire people who have a ton of availability- then work them just to the cut off of where it changes to full time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I waited tables and managed a restaurant. Yes it sucked when you got stiffed on a table, but there were also the people that left well over 20%. I like things the way they are.
    Personally I think restaurants would be in a world of hurt if they have to pay minimum wage.

Answer by missanc at 3:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• No tipping. And at least minumum wage

Answer by louise2 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I didn't watch the video. How would they afford to pay them more? Add 20% to all the items on the menu? That would probably be better because people would still tip.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I am more on the no tipping side of the fence myself, though I do tip now. I do not tip because they need it to make a living. Frankly that is not my problem or responsibility IMO. I tip because the service was good and pleasant and because I do know they it makes a difference to the service I get. I frequent the same restaurants though.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• So you think the customers should pay more for the food so the waiters get paid more but still people should tip?
    I have to admit that I find that confusing. Mompam
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2013