Annulment-Catholic Church

I tried searching but nearly drowned in the sea of Google

What if one person doesn't want the annulment?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 3:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my case, didn't matter.

My abusive ex husband left me for another woman. She had never been married so they wanted to marry in the church. He got the annulment fairly quickly....I want to say less than six months. He used the "intent" clause

I let the church know that he left us in destitution and that I felt that granting him an annulment basically rewarded him for doing so. They never even acknowledged me.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• "and then pay them $5,000 and they would get it done"

I was going to mention that there was a good amount of money involved but I didn't want to upset the masses. :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• His argument was that he was too young to be fully aware of the intent of being married a lifetime.

I swear this is true. We were 19 and 20
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• You are talking about two Catholics who were married in the Catholic Church?
    I am just wanting to be clear on this because different circumstances have different rules and guidelines
    In this case the one person approaches (her) Priest and explains what she wants and why she thinks annulment is appropriate.
    The Priest writes things up and does an little investigating (hopefully) If it has the slightest merit the Priest then would contact the Ex or if the ex is not in his parish he would contact the pastor of that parish who would contact the ex. I am assuming a divorce since it is a civil action and not a religious one.
    If the ex refuses to contest it or contests the validity of the claim. It will take longer to make any decision since the avenues have to be explored from only one side and not with the help of both.
    Just like a person can get a divorce without the consent of the spouse, so too can a person get an
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Friend said that the priest told her they fill out a huge packet, like 100 pages of every detail of your life together... marriage.... sexual questions and all..... and then pay them $5,000 and they would get it done.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• That's another point of confusion. If you aren't a part of a religion how can you sin in the religion. And I thought Baptism washed away sins once you joined a religion.

If you are not part of said religion than you are not among the saved group. If you are not married in the church it is not reconized as married, it is living in sin (fornication etc. etc.)... they see the lost as people not belonging. BUT, this gets extremely hypocritcal when you start introducing the anullment thing when married before out of the church. How do you anull something that was never technically a marriage or recognized in the first place? Too political to me. (No offense to Dard or anyone).
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• so then how do the kids get to stay legitimate in the eyes of the church
    ___

I've often wondered this, but when I ask about it, people think I'm being critical. Then again, I guess I COULD word it better. I usually ask

"So, if you aren't married in a Catholic church, that means they consider it that you aren't married"

They usually answer "correct" or "Yes" or "right"

Then I usually say "So, does that make any children born from that couple 'bastards'?

Then they just usually get pissed.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• You can get a something like a "pardon" from the bishop, but that is all I know.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Wow, the price has gone up!

The other spouse doesn't have to consent. An attempt to contact mist be made, however.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2013