Kitten question TMI if you are sensitive about kitten health ;) adult content

Hey kitty people have a question. This is a kitten from next door. Brought him home to try an clean him up. She said she took him to the vet and they said the nose was a sinus infection but they couldn't do anything(really?). The neck was hard to get a picture of it has what looks like thick dandruff on it and it is obviously irritating and itchy to poor kitty(4 weeks old). Anything I can do to help the poor guy??

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Pets

• That's BS. The little guy can be given a shot of antibiotics

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I'm not sure she's being truthful. They can give him antibiotics for this. I've seen something similar and it spreads very quickly among kittens.

Mom may have passed an infection along to the babies. Can you get him to the vet by chance?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Wow! I wasn't prepared for that pic. Maybe a tmi would help my sensitive soul. ;) As for treatment I would contact another vet. I have noticed a huge variation from place to place. Sometimes kittens are too young to treat for certain things, but there must be something a good vet can suggest in the mean time.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Thanks guys that is what I was thinking. I'll have see if I can afford a vet visit for him. I thought she may be lying about it. lol
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Please tell me the mother is still nursing this kitten.
    If not that is probably the majority of this little one's problem.
    Take him to a different vet and be sure to give all the details, including where this little guy spends his time.
    Some allergies will cause the skin to throw more dander, trying to protect itself. I would take a cool cloth wet and wrung out really well and "lick" his fur, to help clean and stimulate him as the mother should. Clean the mouth with clear water, There are sprays for the fur to help with moisturization which helps to protect the skin.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• ringworm?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I'm pissed i went back to take this kitten home and found a second kitten that couldn't even open it's eyes.

Yes mother is feeding them but it looks like they have both sinus and eye infections. I called a vet and they said they can treat them no problem and I would only have to bring one kitten in to get meds for all. So $40 plus meds. Wish I had the extra cash as I would head over the vet right now.

I called local animal control to report neglect. I asked her again about it and she had no idea about the other kitten. I'm just pissed off and don't care if she knows it was me who called.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• looks like might be mange, I would ask her to go with you to the vet, it might be feline HIV as well, so sorry!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• THe Second Kitten

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Yeah, they're sick. They need a vet badly. You CAN clean their eyes and goop them up with Neosporin which will help a little. (If you have gloves, that would be best.....if not, wash your hands really well after you clean/handle them)

Are those the only two kittens in the litter?

The only reason I know about this is that there is a shelter in MN I used to volunteer at and we had a hording situation. All the kittens had this crap. What's really sad is that it clears up in about 3 days once they get the meds.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2013